SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of replacing the radiator bottom hose after it split at the pump end. I removed the air filter and AMM and AC cooling fan and I have the replacement hose (Mackay) pretty much in place but I don't have enough leverage to get the pump end back on.

What is the recommended practice? I am going to take off the expansion tank hose that sits above it, but I don't see that it gives me much more access. I am able to get my left hand in underneath the manifold between the starter and the oil filler, but I can't get much force on the hose.

I looked at moving the AC compressor but that also didn't seem to give much more access.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Removing the A/C compressor gives you a LOT more room. If I recall right, the lower radiator hose is the bottom of the 3 that come out of the water pump, closest to the cylinder head, and to get at it the top two need to be moved out of the way in order to wiggle it on and get the clamp around. Otherwise you'll be fighting to get your hands on it and the clamp on.

Make sure you connect the little hose that runs off the larger hose near the base of the radiator as well.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the end I managed to get the top end on without taking off any more hoses or moving the AC compressor, it helped that it was dry and a new hose so not much friction.

I got everything back in place, refilled with coolant and bled the air out, took it for a run and all connections are dry, so all seems well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Last time I had the intake manifold off and it was a snap, but the time before that I used two swivel heads, two extensions, and a ratchet to loosen the hex head screw on the hose clamp where the hose passes underneath the intake manifold.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was fortunate that the screw head was facing the right way and that I had a long screwdriver, but I would have been in trouble if the hose was stuck on at that end, I had to cut the hose at the other end to get it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts