SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
So I want to have the fog light always ON. Turns ON and OFF automatically when car start or stop.
After looking what I've done on my other car I found a way to do exactly the same thing.

No need to add wires from the relay to the fog lights, no need for new relay.
I removed the relay and added extensions to it (see pics)

Looking at the fog's relay, there is 4 terminals.
Terminals 3 is the 12v coming from fog fuse and 5 is the line to the fog lights.

Terminal 1 is the one that need to be turn ON and OFF when the car IGN is ON or OFF. T1 Wire comes from the rear wiper fuse, the little thing on the picture is a fuse tap from Autozone for $6. Plug in it the rear wiper's fuse and add another one for the fog lights.

Terminal 2 goes to ground.

So Terminals 3 and 5 are plug back in there respective slots,
1 is the fuse tap plug into the rear wiper's fuse,
2 is ground, wherever you put it.

You could plug the ground, 2, back to the slot 7 under dashboard, that Eidsvik were talking about above, that would allow you to turn it on and off manually.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
it could go ON and OFF with the interior switch if you plug Terminal 5 to slot 7 (cf your post) like I said in the last sentence.
Or, it's always ON, of course went your car is on, by just plugging Terminal 5 to ground. I got the ground (see pic) from the fuse box bolt.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Thank you a93. Perfect pictures. I went with this one. I ran 3 cables through this spot. 4g cable Amplifier power cable ran to the trunk, 8g cable for interior accessories (so far just head unit & dedicated TorquePro device) and my signal wire running off pin 7 on my fog light switch. I ran them through by cutting the hole with a razor blade first. Be soooo careful not to sever and existing wires in the harness!

Then I took all the wires, taped them to a long screwdriver and placed a slender pointed cap over the top of all three and pushed them through. The cap was off some sort of backyard sports peg you'd push in to the ground. That's the beauty of DIY. Just find stuff lying around and make it work. I squirted a bunch silicone in both sides of the hole to keep moisture out and never needed to look back.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I don't remember the how but you need to create the room for the wires to run through without leaving the plug all misshapen and unable to fit in it's place. I remember shoving a butter knife or ? against the existing wire group and then either cutting the rubber out or using a large drill bit to create the space all the way through.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Why not just use the tech 2 and switch to euro mode? When you switch to euro mode without the DRL fuse the first click is no lights, the second is all accsesory lights on ( brakes and corners) but you have the option to turn your fog lights on or off ( or run with no head lights or fogs ), the third click you have your low beams on and the option to turn fogs on or off.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Why not just use the tech 2 and switch to euro mode? When you switch to euro mode without the DRL fuse the first click is no lights, the second is all accsesory lights on ( brakes and corners) but you have the option to turn your fog lights on or off ( or run with no head lights or fogs ), the third click you have your low beams on and the option to turn fogs on or off.
I'll be doing that as well next month when I get my yearly state inspection at my local ex Saab dealer. :D

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You need to pay for that, no?

·
Registered
870 Posts
That's not too much, but the euro mode has fog lights only DRL?
No. That's why I did this mod that you figured out (well, at present my fogs are my DRL's and they are on when the car is on - still have to wire it to the fog switch's pin 7 so I can turn them off and on). The Euro mode for the headlights just makes our headlights work like every other car and truck on the road - you can have your "parking" lights on in the middle headlight switch position, which is to say that all of your lights are on except the headlight bulbs. Then the headlight bulbs come on when you put the headlight switch to the right-most position.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Nice! Very nice. Once you get it hooked to the fog light button you'll be in business. Feels good doesn't it?

Got me thinking with your pick. Your model is far newer than mine. Think the fog light is the same? I've been doing all my electrical stuff for years with my $5 Napa multimeter. Just tested each wire with it while pushing the button until I found the wire.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts