SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Is there a technique to remove a parking light on a 2000?
I tried to pull, turn, it turns right and left but doesn't release.
Do I need to just pull harder?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Which one, Front corner, the one inside the headlight or rear?

The front corner and the little one in the headlight are standard 1/4 turn Counter Clockwise and then pull on the holder. I am assuming you have the corner lens off the car.

If not, you will need to remove the little screw on top of the fender and then push the lens forward. The lens will fall out and you will have it in you hand with two bulbs. The parking/turn signal bulb (dual filiment, standard 1157NA works just fine). and the single filiment bulb (1156 workks fine here) which lights up when you are in reverse so you can see the front side of the car in the dark when reversing.

If it is the rear, there is an access port in the trunk. Open it up and then squeeze on the tabs and the entire bulb assembly falls into your hand. Standard 1157 bulbs for brake/parking, but the amber bulb is a special bulb. You will need to go to a good parts store for that one. Don't even try Wal Mart, Pep Boys, or Target for that bulb. Find a good NAPA store or go on-line.

I just noticed that you have the wagon. I don't know how to access the rear bulbs as I never worked on a wagon.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks,
it's the one next to the headlight, not with the turning light.
So it's just 1/4 turn and pull. No need to remove the full lens for that one?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It is much easier to remove the entire lens and it is simple.

From what you describe, it is the corner marker light, right next to the headlight. Remove the small torx screw on the fender. Once that is out, take a blunt screwdriver, place it on the rear of the lens and hit the end of the screwdriver with the palm of your hand, pushing the lens forward. The entire lens will come out and you can get to that bulb much easier. I've never replaced a bulb in this lens without removing the lens from the car.

When you change this bulb, look at the way it came out. The bayonet mounts for these bulbs are off set, so the bulb needs to go in the same way it came out. Don't force it or you will have a bright turn signal bulb for a parking light and a dull parking light for your turnsignal. Just put your 4 way flashers on and they should be the same brightness. If you got it in wrong, one will be dimmer than the other.

There are also little bulbs in the actual headlight. They should light up when the parking lights are on. If you still have DRLs, you won't see them as the headlight overpowers them. To see if they work, just turn your parking lights on with the engine off. They should light up. If not, they are burn't out. They are simple 194 bulbs. I need them for inspection in PA, but if they are not required in FL, and it doesn't matter to you, then don't worry about them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry you did all this writing, but re-read my post I wrote the one next to the headlight not the turning light. the little bulb in the headlight, I just want to replace them with LEDs to use as DRL following a eidsvick's mod.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No problem. When you said next to headlight, it sounding like the parking/turnsignal bulb. Now I know it is in the headlight housing.

I will check mine tonight and see if it is just a 1/4 turn and then pull it out.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I looked at them this AM. Mine just turn and turn too, but it was cold out and I had to get to work.
If it isn't raining when I get home, I will give them a closer look. I will look for a little tab to squeeze or something like that. I guess mine are original as I never replaced them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, don't worry about it.
I guess there is no need to turn, I will try to squeeze again, I'm afraid to break something, the plastic is hard and sharp.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
OK, went out at lunch to look at it.

I just wiggled it back and forth while pulling on it and it popped right out. It is held in by pressure.

I did wiggle it and pulled on the wires(gently) at the same time. Good Luck.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I put these LEDs, pretty bright, but I didn't mod it yet. I will this week-end unless I can mod the fog light as DRL.
About that. what about using the fog relay.
rear wiper fuse and relay connected, when ignition ON the relay switch ON.
another end of the relay is connected to the battery negative.
and the two other end connected back in the fuse box.
it will look like on the picture.
I tried that few month ago but was unsuccessful, maybe I messed up the connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
The fog light mod as DRL's

When I bought my current 95 the fogs didn't work. Perfectly good bulbs but wouldn't come on. Tried new switch new orange relay nothing so this is what I did and I'm glad I did. You'll need to know the basics behind the amazing Bosch 12v automotive relay.

Here is a picture of the fog light switch pulled from the dash. Across the top there are numbers 8,7,6 and 5. It is pin 7 that sends a small signal to the under hood relay. I used that signal to switch the Bosch relay and send my independent power to the fog lights. Works brilliantly. As long as the ignition is turned on or car is running you can now turn your on "just" your fogs at will. Plus they switch off automatically when you shut the car off. Perfect for me.

When I "city light" my fogs I'll simply tap the power I already ran for my current city light mod.

·
Registered
870 Posts
When I bought my current 95 the fogs didn't work. Perfectly good bulbs but wouldn't come on. Tried new switch new orange relay nothing so this is what I did and I'm glad I did. You'll need to know the basics behind the amazing Bosch 12v automotive relay.

Here is a picture of the fog light switch pulled from the dash. Across the top there are numbers 8,7,6 and 5. It is pin 7 that sends a small signal to the under hood relay. I used that signal to switch the Bosch relay and send my independent power to the fog lights. Works brilliantly. As long as the ignition is turned on or car is running you can now turn your on "just" your fogs at will. Plus they switch off automatically when you shut the car off. Perfect for me.

When I "city light" my fogs I'll simply tap the power I already ran for my current city light mod.
That's brilliant.......

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Yep, pulled the wire that was in slot 7 and ran a new wire to my fuse box.

I first ran a single, higher gauge hot wire to my fuse box. That's 12v's fused (of course) and constant . I only wanted to to this once but also wanted to have the option for adding more accessories later.

I used this power and connected it to the new relay I placed inside my fuse box.

I then ran the new#7 wire through the firewall and into the fusebox. You can see I used a double speaker type wire as I also wanted the option to turn on something else when I pushed the fog light button (nothing yet just forward thinking)

I then connected the new #7 wire to the appropriate spade on the relay and voila! Push the button in the car and the fogs come on. Push the button again and they go off. Shut down or take the key out and they go off.

I pulled the relay out a bit so you can see what I'd done. Other wise it's all tidy and protected with the cover on.

Might sound complicated when you have to type it all out but it really isn't.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts