SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a parking light that is out (next to the xenon light). I read the service manual and it says to pull out the light assembly. I tried doing that and was not able to b/c I was afraid to pull too hard (though it says it is reinforced....). Also, it seems like even if I were able to get it out it would be quite difficult to put back in (not a lot of room to maneuver there). As I'm quite certain most here have changed this light I was hoping for some pointers... THANKS!

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hey! Don't see many Oregonians 'round here, whereabouts are ya from?

If you pop the hood, you'll notice a little screw on top of the parking light that attaches it to the body of the car. One of the screwdrivers that came with the car in the spare tire section in the trunk fits that screw. It should just fall right out after that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Thanks... Can I find the screwdriver at a car parts store or do I need to get it from Saab (I bought the car used and I'm pretty sure I don't have that tool)? Also, am I looking for the W5W or the WY5W bulb?

I'm live in Portland...And Oregon pretty much rocks the casba.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the screw driver but only saw one screw and removing it didn't do anything... it wasn't even close to where the parking light is... so i'm probably misunderstanding what needs to be done.

The light I'm trying to replace is the
PL - Parking Light

TS | PL | X | HB GRILL HB | X | PL | TS

TS = Turn Signal
PL = Parking Lot
X = Xenon
HB = High Beam

·
Registered
230 Posts
After you remove the screw all you have to do is slide the light straight out towards the front of the car. There is a groove that the light fits into.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I have to take the front plastic off (i.e. the clear headlight covering)? I've been trying to go at it from the back where you screw off that large black cap and reach? Sorry for being such a [email protected]#$

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I'm starting to get it, but that module seems like it holds the turn signal... or maybe i'm referring to the incorrect light... The light i'm trying to change is directly next to the xenon lamp (when it's on, it's amber and seems to be behind a plastic covering).
Here is what I'm referring to:

If this image thing works...

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok! Now I'm with you. I thought you were referring to the other bulb. I have never had to change the parking bulb, but according to your picture it seems easy enough. Have you been able to reach in and grab the bulb? It should just pull straight out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I've tried.. When I pull, the whole light assembly moves and I'm afraid I'll break something and cause a whole mess of damage...I've pulled pretty hard... and even if I could get it out, it seems almost impossible to get it back in correctly unless you have child sized hands, I'm but a wee fella and my hands are still too big....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah! Super scary. I'm hoping that somebody who has changed one of these tells me that I just need to yank the crap out of it.

G

·
I don't know how this one works, but most bulb holders must be twisted a 1/4 turn counter(anti)clockwise to release them from their holder. To install, turn 1/4 turn clockwise. Give it a try.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Out of curiousity I went out to my car to see how hard it was to take out the bulb. Sorry to say but it took about 30 seconds. I have halogens not xenons so my setup might be a little different. I used a pair of needle-nosed pliers because of the tight space and it came right out. Its just held in by a plastic clip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll try the quarter turn. Thanks!

I'll also try to grow a brain.

Q. How many law students does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Only one. CAVEAT - but only with the help of an entire online SAAB forum.

·
Registered
230 Posts
natijoe said:
I'll try the quarter turn. Thanks!

I'll also try to grow a brain.

Q. How many law students does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Only one. CAVEAT - but only with the help of an entire online SAAB forum.
At least you have kept your sense of humor about it! :p :cheesy:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. figured it out. You have to reach all the way in and try to reach the bulb. You need to press two little plastic prongs in (very difficult unless you have small hands). It's even more difficult to get in... used my phone camera to look inside while I was trying to guide it in.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I replaced these bulbs at the weekend on my 02 Aero with xenons.
It was a total beeatch of a job.

I just yanked the cables and the bulb and holder fell out. I replaced the crappy halogen bulbs with some LEDs :cool:.

Getting it back in is a pain in the whole... I found it IMPOSSIBLE to get the bulbs back into the headlamp assembly. I ended up having to put the car in the garage where its darker, remove the indicator assembly (see below), turn on the park lights, and view the headlight assembly from the side. This lets you see that you are trying to insert at the right height, then looking through the front of the lens you have to guess/judge when the light lines up with the socket and pop it in.

It took me 90mins to change 2 crappy bulbs. I though I was missing something but even the manual says look through the lens and guess where it might line up... really poor design and not a lot of space to manoeuvre in.

Removing the newer style indicator assembly is also hard as its not a screw on the top (unless its been altered) but should have a small press clip that it buried almost inside the inner wing..

good luck

·
Registered
259 Posts
Its a funny story. I was in the local autoshop looking for a new bulb for a busted fog light. I saw the LEDs up on the shelf and got talking to the guy about how the standard incandecent bulbs look pants next to the xenons.
Obviously he agrees cos he was looking for a sale. so bought a pack of 2. Not sure on the output as there is no detail on the pack :confused:

So I installed them, as you know after much busted knuckles and they look... OK.

Not fantastic as they have a slight blue tint and the output is lower than a standard bulb. It does look a bit ricer cos of the blue I was hoping for a more piercing white TBH. Might try a few different ones if I can be bother with more busted knuckles... hehe
Incidentally its my 1st mod woohoo.
I'll try posting a pic when I get home tonite.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts