SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have noticed that the left inner CV boot on my Sonett V4 has two small cracks (3-4mm) where the grease leaks out when it gets hot. I assume the boot must be replaced and that patching the cracks is a hopeless task?

So is there a recommended procedure for replacing the boot? What needs to be disassembled in order to get the old boot off and a new one on?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hi!

I have noticed that the left inner CV boot on my Sonett V4 has two small cracks (3-4mm) where the grease leaks out when it gets hot. I assume the boot must be replaced and that patching the cracks is a hopeless task?

So is there a recommended procedure for replacing the boot? What needs to be disassembled in order to get the old boot off and a new one on?

It has been a while - 50 years -
If we have the bi-pod inner driver, a good new soft boot can be persuaded to stretch over the driver - I have done this more than once - and one I did tear a boot ($3 down the drain)..
So much for short cuts.
You will have to remove the axle assembly from the outer CV joint - this requires a "ring squeezer" - a special Saab tool, maybe Saab only, I do not know...That is the method I used - long ago..I think it requires 2 special tools...I may have one...
Now, today, BION, I repaired a inner boot that was leaking the moly-grease thru a crack in the rubber....4-5 years ago, and she is still fairly clean and dry !
I would not recommend doing this(economics), but the new boot was $40 and not available anyway..
This task on the '96 900..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I ended up using a local workshop this time, but thanks for your advices, will save them for next time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts