SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched this YTV nad was glad I paid ~ $500 including OEM to have my Indy do it. I would not know many of the presteps

hth

Saab 9-5 Aero Fuel Upgrade Install

·
Registered
308 Posts
You can spend ~ $50 on a mail order site and get the Walbro/Bosch replacement pump by itself and install in the can/fuel level arm assembly. There's a PVC pipe DIY tool or you can buy for about $30 or maybe find used. I've replaced 3 9-5 and also BMW fuel pumps this way, and it's not as scary as you think.

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
It's not ridiculously hard, as long as you have a 9-5 where you can access the fuel pump without dropping the tank. So it is hard for 2006-up North American 9-5s.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Those people replaced just the electronic pump. Personally, I replace the entire assembly (the big thing that he pulls out of the tank) when I have to replace the fuel pump. Someone on here mentioned that there's other components in the assembly that would probably also wear out eventually so might as well just replace the whole thing for the peace of mind and to not have to do it again

I did have to buy that $40 special wrench to remove the locking ring, but after that I can probably change the pump in <30 minutes. Simple job

·
Registered
8,469 Posts
I pulled the entire assembly out as well. I did take it to a Saab shop to do the necessary work. Then dropped it back in.

I spent $0. Carefully hammering the ring with a drift got it loose.

Biggest hassle was that I filled the tank (I mean filled the tank) about ten minutes and two kilometres before the pump failed. :mad:

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
you can make a ring removal tool out of a PVC plumbing fitting that you can get at home depot and a hack saw to cut slots into it that mate up with the tabs on the ring. Then drill a hole across the top of it and put a long screwdriver or bar in there and push.

I made one when I had the change the pump in my 02 Aero a few years ago. It's been lost in the move east but if I have to make another one it's not an issue.

Tapping on the ring can break it, especially that old plastic. Although they're reasonably cheap at $5.60

·
Registered
9,749 Posts
Some auto parts stores rent fuel pump removal tools. That's what I used when I replaced the pump on my wife's 2001. I also replaced the entire assembly with a new TI Automotive (formerly Walbro) assembly. The whole job took less than half an hour. I've replaced two fuel pumps on cars that required the tank to be dropped, and those jobs took much longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts