SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone and their dog has posted a How-to on fuel pumps, but hey, I took these pictures so someone should look at them.

I have been having a hard-start condition in the mornings, and it was suggested to look at the fuel pump. It seemed like a reasonable thing as the pump was also getting noisy. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it fixed it, but at least I won't get stranded because the pump isn't working. It was also suggested that I change O2 sensors, so I did that, but there are no pictures as my girlfriend was helping and she makes fun of me for taking pictures for the internet.

Cover everything with towels since gas will get everywhere.

Here is the way it looks before doing everything, recall clips and all.

After getting the retainer metal off, silicone the fuel valves and delicately pry them out. wiggling helps get the silicone down to the o-rings.

Getting the connectors out will spray gas everywhere, even though I tryed to take the pressure off by cranking with no fuel pump fuse.

Use the handy dandy homemade tool to get the ring off. It worked great and didn't break any of the ring parts.

Close up of the tool. The pipe fitting cost $3. I had to add some screws to grip the tabs as it was a little small, but it worked fine otherwise.

I had a hell of time getting the assembly out of the tank, I ended up taking off the bowl part. The bowl part is full of gas, so don't spill it in the car.

How it came out of the car

mmm fuel sand

To be Continued..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Take the fuel pump out of all the rubber pieces.

Old part number

New pump

And its part number. They aren't the same number but seem to be the same.

I cut the plastic line and used some fuel injection hose. I tried to do it right and get the submersable fuel line, but after waiting 2 weeks for Napa to bring it in, it was 3/8", which is way too big for the 1/4" fittings.

After cleaning all the sand out, put the strainers back on.

There you can see the bit of hose I used.

Turns out the whole assembly will fit back in the hole if you turn it just right.

I also did the fuel filter, and on the right you see the seals that came with the filter kit. On the right, you see what was on there, with rubber seals in the washers. One of the rubber looked a little worse for wear, so I put a copper one in. Sure enough, when I pressurized the system it leaked. Just a little, so it was making the nut wet, but thats still fuel that leaks out of the system. So check for leaks carefully if using those other washers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlVrG3cVsrs
Video of the result. The pressure comes on fine when turning the key on. Unfortnatly this is the same behaviour as the old pump, but I guess it does it quieter now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fantasic FAQ writeup on the fuel pump.

I can't wait for someone to measure voltage at the pump... very curious!

I'd check but have my 9-5 disassembled right now.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Awesome. I would have replaced the fuel filter before going for the pump though. On my old 2001 my fuel pump whined like nobody's business at 170k miles. It went nearly silent after replacing the fuel filter.

Do you mind elaborating on the tool you made up? I need to make one. :cheesy: Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. I would have replaced the fuel filter before going for the pump though. On my old 2001 my fuel pump whined like nobody's business at 170k miles. It went nearly silent after replacing the fuel filter.

Do you mind elaborating on the tool you made up? I need to make one. :cheesy: Thanks.
The tool is a 4" pvc to pipe thread adapter, as seen in another thread here. The one the other guy used had bigger bumps on it though, so I needed to put some screws in it to grip the ring tabs.

If anyone needs to borrow it in the Lower Mainland of BC, they are welcome to this one as I won't be needing for a while, i hope.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for the contribution Joe. This and your clutch change procedure are great writeups! Hoping i wont have to do either anytime soon though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: New fuel pump and O2 sensors, and the car started quickly 2 mornings in a row. Of course this doesn't mean its fixed, but its looking promising.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The tool is a 4" pvc to pipe thread adapter, as seen in another thread here. The one the other guy used had bigger bumps on it though, so I needed to put some screws in it to grip the ring tabs.

If anyone needs to borrow it in the Lower Mainland of BC, they are welcome to this one as I won't be needing for a while, i hope.
I just made the same tool but I used a slightly different piece of pipe (black with smaller nubs, but lots of them) and it was actually a little big. I took my grinder to the space between the nubs and it worked like a charm. Whoever thought of that is a genius. I'll see about snapping a pic later.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Awesome photos, great tutorial. I've done this job, but never get tired of a good tutorial. The only thing I would add, is that when you're doing this, you might as well pull out the tank baffle while you're at it, in my case, the plastic tank baffle caused me erratic, "empty / full" fuel gauge readings. Since I removed the tank baffle, no more fuel gauge issues. It's cool to take photos that can serve to help others, it's time consuming but much appreciated. Makes you wonder about someone who would object to helping others. I would be interested in knowing what effect if any, changing the O2 sensors had, my car is still on its originals and the car tends to crank a bit too much before firing up in the morning...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome photos, great tutorial. I've done this job, but never get tired of a good tutorial. The only thing I would add, is that when you're doing this, you might as well pull out the tank baffle while you're at it, in my case, the plastic tank baffle caused me erratic, "empty / full" fuel gauge readings. Since I removed the tank baffle, no more fuel gauge issues. It's cool to take photos that can serve to help others, it's time consuming but much appreciated. Makes you wonder about someone who would object to helping others. I would be interested in knowing what effect if any, changing the O2 sensors had, my car is still on its originals and the car tends to crank a bit too much before firing up in the morning...
It did nothing to help the sputtering on startup. My next bet is headgasket, but I am praying it is something else, concidering I have spent 10K on a 02 9-5 and driven it 4000 miles.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
It did nothing to help the sputtering on startup. My next bet is headgasket, but I am praying it is something else, concidering I have spent 10K on a 02 9-5 and driven it 4000 miles.
wow 10K? sorry to hear that...

Did you replece the check valve in the fuel line? Usually sputtering on start up is due to losing fule line pressure there

·
Registered
3 Posts
great write up

Awesome right up , thanks this will really help when it comes time for me to replace the pump on the wifey's car. Was the fuel pump available locally , I hope it is, but likely not at places like Lordco, our 95 Aero is out of commision waiting for a new voltage regulator thats on route from Eeuroparts out of Conneticut.

Randy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great write-up. But those retaining hooks !
See my recent article
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192864
Mine had the metal retainer installed due to the recall in the states. Was actually a real pain to get it imported into Canada because of it.

The pump was available at Lordco, but it was $250 or something silly. I got it from some fuelpumps.net or something for $80 or so. There is a link in the forums somewhere for it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have two 9-3's and the fuel pumps failed days apart. On the 9-3's you have to drop the gas tanks but same procedure. I dropped the tanks rather than cut a hole in the body to gain access to the fuel pumps as some suggest. Wasn't bad but two cars the same week? :(

Good write up.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have two 9-3's and the fuel pumps failed days apart. On the 9-3's you have to drop the gas tanks but same procedure. I dropped the tanks rather than cut a hole in the body to gain access to the fuel pumps as some suggest. Wasn't bad but two cars the same week? :(

Good write up.
When I had my 900 I had to do the same, But my problem was when I reinstalled it I found I nicked a very rusted brake line and had to drop it again. And again when another brake line broke about 2 hours after I got everything together and checked the pressure....so all in alll three times I droped that stupid tank, hated every second of it. In hindsight I would have cut the rear to access it but now its someone elses problem. on the brightside I learned how to flare brake lines :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts