SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the front brake pads on my 1999 Saab 9-5. I can't get the caliper off though. I only see two bolts on the back side of the caliper and they are both very stuck. Do I have to remove these to replace the pads or is there something I am missing? If there is a "how-to" somewhere for my model can someone point me in the right direction. I have looked but can't find anything for the 9-5

Thank you very much

·
Registered
483 Posts
It may be that the piston is so compressed on the rotor that you may need to use force. Make sure all bolts are out and you should be able to wiggle it off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To do the pads only it is not necessary to remove the carriers. You need to remove the sliders with a 7mm Allen wrench and they should come out fairly easily. They are located under black caps on the back of the caliper, one top one bottom. :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
brake pins

when you remove the pins put some copper grease on them to stop them sticking. the 7mm brake key is allso used on older fords you can get one
at local spares shop. the bolts undo clockwise

·
Registered
867 Posts
Mine were a bugger to remove. The PO had way too much blue loctite on the bolts and I had to use a breaker bar to remove them. Ever since replace the front pads my alignment seems off. Wondering if putting so much pressure/force on the bolts jarred it out of alignment.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
To do the pads only it is not necessary to remove the carriers. You need to remove the sliders with a 7mm Allen wrench and they should come out fairly easily. They are located under black caps on the back of the caliper, one top one bottom. :D
SAAB is famous for changing fastener styles w/o notice, but the front caliper bolts on my 2000 are Torx head.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
You must be a tough dude to knock your alignment out by hand.;)
Mine were a bugger to remove. The PO had way too much blue loctite on the bolts and I had to use a breaker bar to remove them. Ever since replace the front pads my alignment seems off. Wondering if putting so much pressure/force on the bolts jarred it out of alignment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts