SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat AM I am going to attempt to replace my cabin sensor. The below link has a few instructions but it is not very detailed. My new sensor from eeuroparts.com actually has the bullseye front cover on it. I only see one torx screw on the plastic panel to the right of the AC unit in my car.

Can someone provide more details on how to remove this, etc?

http://www.thesaabsite.com/ng_saab__900_automatic_climate_c.htm

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
448 Posts
In my case I simply pried the dummy cover to the right of the bullseye off allowing access to the unit. I then gently grasped it with two fingers and wiggled it slightly while pulling it out slowly. It eventually came loose. If I recall there is a connector at the back wich is self explainatory that is disconnected then reconected to the new unit. Then you just slide the new unit in place and replace the dummy cover to the right. To the best of my memory there were no torx screws or anything involved and the center console cover was not removed to perform this operation.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
There are two screws that hold that panel in place. One is recessed at the bottom of the panel, the other can be found by opening the glove box. It will be just inside the glove box on the left hand side.

Although it is possible to remove that panel on its own, it is fiddly to get it back in place. I usualy remove the glove box to make it easier to get at.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
toenail said:
In my case I simply pried the dummy cover to the right of the bullseye off allowing access to the unit. I then gently grasped it with two fingers and wiggled it slightly while pulling it out slowly. It eventually came loose. If I recall there is a connector at the back wich is self explainatory that is disconnected then reconected to the new unit. Then you just slide the new unit in place and replace the dummy cover to the right. To the best of my memory there were no torx screws or anything involved and the center console cover was not removed to perform this operation.

You can do the same with the heated seat swtiches ... either way, that has to be much easier than pulling the dash apart.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't reccommend doing it like described in the link. I just did that about a week ago much simpler.

1) Use 2 (old) credit cards to remove the ACC unit (leave it wired). Just simply pull it towards yourself in it comes out easily. It is not attached with any srews etc.

2) Once you've removed it you have the access to the ACC sensor.
Get it out,disconnect the electrical wire in the back and remove the old one. Connect the new one & put it in place in the dash.

3) Reposition the ACC Unit.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Just be careful with the little 'diode' (for lack of better word...) on the backside of the sensor - it breaks off with the slightest pressure. I ended up having to replace the entire unit when I was cleaning the old one and broke that piece off!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Do it right! Remove the passenger side panel! There are 3 bolts that need to be removed.

1. Glove box to side panel.

2. Low on the side panel, almost directly down from the glove box 1.

3. remove the bolt that holds the black cover by the passenger feet, directly behind the panel.

When all the bolts are lose, slide the panel backwards. Then wiggle it out. Do not try to get the sensor from the front, if you break it, you are in trouble, and it is very delicate!! So do it right!

Removing the AC is the next best alternative.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you replacing the censor because it is making noise?!? That is what mine is doing as well, it whurrrs constantly and is quite irritating. Or has it stopped all together.

Thanks -

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I agree with Asia. Do it right. So what if it takes an extra 20 minutes (maybe!)? That kick panel is a breeze to get in and out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Will give it a shot. Replacing since the temp is never right in the car--has to be on 64 or lower or it is to warm. Numerous other threads pointed to this as the most likely cause.

Mike

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Did It!

Did it tonight actually in my garage. The kick panel was a pain in the ***** to get out but the sensor has now been swapped for new. I took the car for a 15 min drive and for the first time since I've owned it it is not spewing hot air. Put it on 68 deg and all seemed normal. I also noticed the defrost did not automatically come on like it usually does when not needed. Calibrated the AC unit also.

Maybe I should declare victory...

Wow, changed oil last weekend and now swapped a cabin sensor. Whoa...what's next? Maybe I can do minor repairs after all!

MM

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What did you find difficult? :) I guess the first time you attempt any job, it seems a little daunting. The first time I had to do my suspension work, I thought about quitting. Of course, since the car is not running at that point and this is my only car, there is no turning back. Now, it seems so trivial and easy to change anything suspension related (I have undone the suspension at least, three times).

So I am curious, what about the kick panel was complex? Did you remove the rear black boot that covers the ACC control module? If not, the travel of the panel is limited and that complicates things tremendously.

One of the cool things about taking out the kick panel is that you learn one of the basics of saabs. To remove a tiny piece, you have to undo the world inside the car :cheesy:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Asia,

The rear black boot by the floor was the problem--for some strange reason I couldn't get that torx screw removed. Tried different sizes and angles and no joy. Might be stripped or something. So, I had to remove the panel with that still on. Getting it off actually wasn't too bad--but I had to fiddle with it quit a while to get it back on. All is well now though.

Next project is to replace a cracked fog light lens if I can find one cheap--looks real easy too.

MM

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
SodakSaab said:
Next project is to replace a cracked fog light lens if I can find one cheap--looks real easy too.

MM
:confused: Unfortunately you have to replace the whole unit - no lenses for these babies... I've been living with a cracked one (with a hole in it!) for over a year now - just put some clear packing tape over it to hold it together and keep water out of it until I spot some on eBay or elsewhere that aren't $160 each :eek:...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
20Ted,

Yep, same problem--mine is basically broken and held together with clear packing tape. Didn't even notice it until I had the car on lift for an oil change. Will probably leave it that way until I find an eBay one or it fails. But, hey, not much fog here in Cheyenne WY. It's a cosmetic thing only I guess.

MM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts