SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, I have no idea when the filters were last replaced and I have owned the car for almost a year, so they definitely need to be replaced. How do you do this? The car is a 2003 9-5 Arc. Pictures would be helpful. Also where can I get these filters?

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
708 Posts
Personally, I have no clue. Never got down in there to check it out. The photo's on the link show only 1 filter it looks like.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally, I have no clue. Never got down in there to check it out. The photo's on the link show only 1 filter it looks like.
That's what it looks lie to me too. But I heard that they have 7. :eek:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
One filter.........

The 1998 thru early 2000 models were shipped from the factory with two filters (a thin pleated filter for dirt and a carbon filter for odors), but beginning with the mid-2000 model years all cars now have a single thicker dual use filter.

I have bought these filters from the Dealer, from eEuroparts, from thesaabsite, possibly from GenuineSaab, and they may even be available from AutoZone or other parts places as a Purolator part.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 1998 thru early 2000 models were shipped from the factory with two filters (a thin pleated filter for dirt and a carbon filter for odors), but beginning with the mid-2000 model years all cars now have a single thicker dual use filter.

I have bought these filters from the Dealer, from eEuroparts, from thesaabsite, possibly from GenuineSaab, and they may even be available from AutoZone or other parts places as a Purolator part.
Cool, thanks. How much were they?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
this is really easy to do.

take out glove box. take off lower cover where passenger feet go. cover is on left hand side.(three bobby pins, push in center tab and then pull out) remove black plastic cover behind cover. 8 torx screws i think. cant remember been awhile. take this off and remove filter.

do the reverse of removal. takes about 20 mins.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Current prices are:
Aftermarket - $22

SAAB OEM - $54
Thanks. How good are the aftermarket ones? Quite a difference in price, so if there isn't a big difference in quality, I'd like to save some money.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Where is the second filter?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have used the Aftermarket filters for about 2 years now. I replace mine every year. It helps the AC runn cooler and keeps the cabin smelling nice :lol:. No issues with the aftermarket. Save the money:D

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Probably long gone..........

Where is the second filter?
Saab stopped selling the two filters as a service part back in 2001. The carbon filter was a mesh bag of granules that slid into a plastic rack located adjacent to the thin pleated filter.

In order to fit the thicker new style filter the plastic rack needs to be removed. The only means to do this is to grab it with your hands, break it apart, and yank it out.

I am sure your car has already had this done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced my cabin air filter for the first time today, which was much more difficult than I thought it would be. Especially since the aftermarket filter I used had the "air flow this way" arrow reversed--beware of this! And the new aftermarket filter definitely did not look nearly as good of quality as the old genuine filter I pulled out--although it was much cleaner than the old one! I don't think the previous owner had ever changed it, and I bought the car at 52k miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts