SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on order a set of silicon hoses like these HERE. :lol:

While I suppose it will be easy enough to work out where they all go I am unsure of what steps I should take to properly make the switch from decaying rubber hoses to sexy silicon hoses...
Yes I'm wanting some advice.. I'm assuming I should drain the system first. Or even do as much of a complete flush first before removing the old rubber hoses?
Once drained remove the old hoses and replace with new ones, clamp well and then fill it back up with correct amount of Water and Coolant? Oh yes I'd like advice on that aswel if you can be bothered elaborating on the topic that far.

I will try to take pics as I go and make a 'How-To' about it. So your tips are appreciated and you might even get a mention.
CHEERS

·
Registered
936 Posts
One piece of advice really. Don't overtighten this clamp, the plactis may very well be brittle, and it will be easy to snap into little bits.....

If it breaks, its not good.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ Thanks mate, will be sure to not tighten that too much. I think I've had to tighten that before actually and was really careful with it.

I can also see clearly in that picture the sensor on the top of that hose.. which my car does not have. Will be going to junk yard to find a stuffed sensor to stick in the hole I think.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
WEll, the path you presented is basically right. I would flush it with rubber hoses on first, then drain all the collant. Then change the hoses to the silicone ones. Then I would just flush with water. Then I would fill with the correct mixture of antifreeze. Things to think about though:
1) I got the antefreeze from the eeurparts.com, it is the mercedes benz one. It was recomended by quasimotors.com, and that guy got this info apparently froma real pro on saabs, so, i would do it again.
2) ALL plastic connection you got to watch out. Especially, the small one on the expansion tank if you will disconnect it. I cracked mine, and it is a new tank job. I glued it, but it sips out, so, don't do it. Also, the hard part with lower radiator hose for me was not putting new one on, but removing the old one. SO, make sure you have extra new clamps, this way you can saw of the old clapm of.
3) I don't know if the kit above provides you with heater hoses, but, if it does, they are a pain to change, because they are connected to the heater inside the bulkhead. So, you remove the aquarium cover, and then you will see your hoses on the drivers side in there.
4)I would change the thermostat at the same time. This way you will be done and over with the cooling system for some time. And it is not an expensive part, and not a difficult change.

Klim

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Just fill it up through the expansion tank, don't close the cap though. Start the engine. The level should go down a bit with time. It will buble a bit. FIll it up to the top mark. When the level stops rising, stop the engine, let it cool. The level should drop a bit. Fill it up to the max mark, close the cap and you are done. Just check on it in a day or two, to see if the level is still there...

Klim

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Well, that's how I did it, and I allready put 5000miles on it, and the gauge is ALWAYS bellow half the scale, so it worked for me.

Klim

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I'm using Mercedes antifreeze as well. Tom Townsend recommended it, so I switched it out. I also use distilled water for the mix. No mineral deposits this way.:cool:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
One thing though. I installed a cooler thermostat, and at 40F ambient, at speed, I only get below 1/4 coolant gauge....engine is running REALLY cool. And it does the same thing when the heat is on when te car is standing. It is not a fan in ON position, it is off.
So, if it gets cold, think twice about getting a cooler thermostat...

Klim

·
Registered
936 Posts
that isnt really running at optimal temperature if its below 1/4.....the engine can run too cold, just like it can run too hot

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
That's what I was thinking, it seems it runs that cold when the heat turns on...

Klim

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I got the hoses, just waiting for the Prestone Flush n Fill kit to arrive now.

Meanwhile, can somebody please tell me where the bottom hose in this pic goes?

Coolant Hoses

Maybe on 1991 9000's there isn't a place for that particular hose. I can see where the other three go.

EDIT: Don't worry I found it.. I'm pretty sure it's the hose in Quasi's how-to page here. http://www.quasimotors.com/flush_tee.htm

·
Registered
936 Posts
glad you got it, post a pic when your all done, and hey while your at it this is a great time with all the hoses out to clean your engine in those hard to reach areas.....seriously just tape off all the openings right and go to town with some citrus engine cleaner

make it look really nice :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
vnv727 said:
X2 on this! Its difficult with the silicone hoses to get that one tight enough without breaking it. The silicone isnt as easy to clamp down since its not as soft as the stock rubber ones. Mine wouldnt stop dripping when I put that one on and by the time it was actually tight enough the plastic end tank of the radiator broke. (which was a HUGE pain in my *** since my radiator has been relocated and welded into place)

good luck, and if you need pics just ask! :D

what color did you order?

-K

1 - 20 of 20 Posts