SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently developed the same symptoms described in Brake Pedal Judder - ABS. In my case, I will feel judder thru the pedal occasionally, as speed decreases from 30-20mph.

I have front-end work to do before winter, so I'll be adding "ABS ring" to the list. In a previous car I had similar issues caused by metallic junk wedged in btw the teeth, so I'll first be cleaning it to see if it helps.

However, if that doesn't work, and ring needs replacement, is the best choice to simply replace the entire axle, even though it has no detectable other issues? If so, from where? I seem to recall others suggesting staying away from rebuilts lately because the quality isn't as good. There is place locally that rebuilds, but they only do CV joints--which isn't really what I (probably) need.

Of course, I could get into it and find that I really DO need a whole axle, so there's that.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally today confirmed a cracked ring on the passenger side. Ironically, it's the one that, at least looking at it, looks cleanest and least rusty. The driver's side is a mess but I couldn't see a crack in it. Here's a photo I snapped thru the ABS sensor hole. Seems prevailing wisdom is to replace the entire axle. Pursuant to that, does anybody have a brand they specifically recommend, or a brand they specifically suggest avoiding?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also, I presume there's no danger to driving it this way for awhile? I have road trip scheduled next weekend...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody have opinions on axles to choose or avoid? By way of example, I can get a carquest with lifetime warranty serviced locally for $70 minus whatever advanced autoparts coupon I happen to have. Rock sells a cardone for $46 + shipping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not really.... I'm a mechanic by trade in my experience even if you buy cheap Chinese aftermarket axles you won't wear them out in the life of the car. I've never had any luck replacing the rings its always easier to replace the axle good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts