SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all!
I know there are numerous threads regarding keys and programming etc but all seem to go off topic a bit and very technical.

In simple terms could anyone enlighten me on the following please?

I have a 2001 se 2.0 vert with one original working key- single key 3 button type- not banana type.

I want to programme a couple of spare keys (or at least one!).

From what i can understand, if i get a new blank key housing and blade then get it cut to match my working key so it works in locks etc then swap over the guts from another used key (i happen to have 3 keys from other cars in my toolbox all same type of key) then i can programme via tech2?.

I have used my tech2 before for marrying in head unit, twice unit and other things but never tried programming keys as my previous car had 3 keys so there was no need for any more.

Hope someone can let me know if im on right track with this as i dont want to end up with a whole pile of trouble if the one key i have is lost or gives up the ghost!

apologies for probably going over old territory here but just want to be sure of the way ahead and not totally mess it up!!.

thanks in advance for any of your shared saab wisdom. :)

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
What I read is that you have one key that works in your car. You also have three junk/spare keys that also have the three-button remote in the head.

When you undo the battery cover on the key, the three-button module will pretty much fall out.

So, what you do is free the modules from your spare/junk keys, and install new batteries. Also remove the battery cover from your working key.

Then go into key programming on your car. Start with your working key, of course.

Then, program each additional "key" by quickly swapping the other modules in your one key body and programming them.

Of course you want the physical key blade to actually turn the ignition cylinder, but all the security stuff is in the three-button module. So at the end of this, you will have four valid "keys". If you lose the one key blade, you will have to order a precut key (Orio should supply them), but you will not be needing to swap the TWICE.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
many thanks edt for the info- seems a bit clearer now!

can you tell me how long during the programming i would have for swapping over the modules?
ie 10 seconds 20, second or is there plenty time do do this to allow for fat fingers and thumbs?!!
not sure if process is time limited per key on programming option tech2

many thanks
tuftyboy

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
You need TECH2 to marrying new key to your car.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Hi,
many thanks edt for the info- seems a bit clearer now!

can you tell me how long during the programming i would have for swapping over the modules?
ie 10 seconds 20, second or is there plenty time do do this to allow for fat fingers and thumbs?!!
not sure if process is time limited per key on programming option tech2

many thanks
tuftyboy
Your concern is logical. There must be a limit, because you do turn the car "off" (whatever that means with an always-connected ECU) to swap keys, during the key programming steps.

I did worry about that too, but with the battery cover removed, swapping the module takes very little time. I did this procedure with a couple of spare modules (and two keys) in my 9-5, no problem.

The key :roll: is to be organized, with the modules to be programmed in easy reach. You can probably do the module swap while the key is in the ignition cylinder, turned to OFF. If in doubt, practice beforehand.

ETA: It may be possible to leave the key in the ignition, and just keep the modules very close by. I know there is some directionality in the transponder system. One way to test that is to pop out the module from the key, put it in a close by spot and try to start the car. If it's KEY NOT ACCEPTED, well that won't work.

The programming for the remote (which is separate from the transponder, even though both are in that three button module) can be done anywhere reasonable, of course. ;ol;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts