SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I noticed during my test drive.. the door knob was exactly where my elbow wanted to be... I did a search and didn't find anything.. have folks found a replacement knob that would be short enough to be flush when locked?

I haven't used a mechanical door knob in _years_ (I have my key fob for lock/unlock)

Mike

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Sure. Actually more people call it the lock button.

The thing to do is measure how far the button sticks out in the locked position. Then remove the door panel and unscrew the plastic button. Then saw the threaded rod to reduce the length by the amount you measured. You could also cut it with a Dremel cutting disc.

Several people have done this mod. Been a while since it's come up.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
ctrlz said:
Sure. Actually more people call it the lock button.

The thing to do is measure how far the button sticks out in the locked position. Then remove the door panel and unscrew the plastic button. Then saw the threaded rod to reduce the length by the amount you measured. You could also cut it with a Dremel cutting disc.

Several people have done this mod. Been a while since it's come up.
Only thing that would concern me is that in the event of a total electrical failure, you aren't getting out the driver's side door if it's locked, if you have done this. ALL other vehicles that have a flush door lock button from the factory will automatically unlock when you pull the inside handle. For example, most if not all Ford vehicles are like this, even the ones that don't have a door lock button there.

One of the very few things I don't like about the Saab 93 is that it will NOT unlock the door when you pull on the inside door handle. I've noticed this behavior in other GM vehicles, too.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the pics from the Window regulator thread to get my door panel off.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112801

Instead of cutting it (I didn't see the point.. I never want the knob sticking up.. and even if its flush when locked, I can't see how that serves any use since I can't unlock that way...)...

So, instead I used 2 pairs of pliers to bend the rod a few inches down (so that the top if now horizontal, not vertical).

On the plus side this would be reversible. I just need to find a plug for the hole now.

Mission #2 is to fix what Saab didn't do correctly in the first place. It occurs to me that one should be able to find a mechanical switch that could be connected to the door pull cable so that when it pulls (you'd affix this switch inside the door panel) it would slide a contact closing a circuit... this could be connected to the unlock switch, so that the door pull would auto-unlock the doors. I'm off to search for such a switch, but figured I'd ask here if anyone knew of such a beast.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts