SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to upgrade my headlights, both projector lenses were fogged over internally (which turned out to be a film on the lenses that was easily cleaned with alcohol. Either way, i'm not a fan of the factory fresnel lenses. I picked up a set of knock off Morimoto projectors off of Amazon (see link below) and set out to rebuild the factory housings. I'll have pictures to come.
Removed the bumper and both headlight housing. From the rear of the housing you have access to the three mounting bolts for the factory projectors. Remove the bolts and maneuver the projector assembly from the rear of the housings. Difficult but not impossible, made easier if you bend one of the tabs forward.
Drill out the rivets holding the lens stand to the reflector housing, you are now left with the factory reflector housing and mount. Use a hole saw large enough to fit over the threads of the new projector housing and drill out the H7 bulb mount in the factory reflector.
The new projector assemble (reflector and all) will now simply fit and fasten into the factory reflector using the rubber mounts and single large nut. Be sure to clock the headlight right side up.
You can now re-install into the headlamp assembly to the 3 original mounts, this will retain the original headlight adjustments. There is no need or room to use the included chrome trim from the new projectors.
The new projectors use a single H1 bulb and have a solenoid flapper door for hi/lo. Cut the factory H7 plug, run the ground to the projector housing using the provided screw and crimp on a push on terminal to the positive for the H1 bulb.
Now tap the hi/lo solenoid into the factory hi beam H7. I suggest cut, solder and heat-shrink. You now have 2 low beams and 4 hi beams!
Reinstall the headlamps and test, adjust height accordingly. You now have better light output and a clean cut off line for your low beams.

I will soon be upgrading to quality LED headlight bulbs for the H1s

Projectors

Bulbs that I used

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work, when u can heat the housings remove the outer lens and throw in some EvoX projectors from theretrofitsource.com. And they come with the clear lens upgrade, and are direct factory Hella units. And u don't have to cut or shrink wrap any wiring either. Maybe I'd try this on the '03-'07 fog assemblies, but not the headlights. Check out the ultimate HID thread on here, lots useful info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My way wasn't intended as a solution for everyone and it really wasn't that much work and I had it all completed within 2 hours. My intention was for a stock look and to retain the factory adjusters. I'm happy with it, figured I'd share.
I also hate baking or taking a heat gun to pull apart lenses and then having to reseal the whole housing again.

·
Registered
486 Posts
the housings on ebay(depot or tyc) have clear lenses too. my buddy uses them and his halogen output and cutoff are so much better then my oem bixenons with brand new bulbs. his cutoff is very crisp.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
My way wasn't intended as a solution for everyone and it really wasn't that much work and I had it all completed within 2 hours. My intention was for a stock look and to retain the factory adjusters. I'm happy with it, figured I'd share.
I also hate baking or taking a heat gun to pull apart lenses and then having to reseal the whole housing again.
I wasn't knocking it, actually I'd really like to see a pic of the finished light. The EvoX projectors also retain the factory adjusters. I learned something from your post too. I never knew u could remove the projectors from the rear without damaging them or cutting the housing a bit. If u can remove the OEM projector from behind, an EvoX could be used without having to bake and remove the front lens. And they are direct swap.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
The EVOX-R's are a direct swap in "some" ways as they have the same front attachment setup where the projector attaches to headlight. The issue is if you have factory xenons (Hella D2S setup) it is difficult to reuse the factory ballast/ignitor setup as the lamp attachment point is quite different and the ignitor unit cannot be attached directly to the EVOX--R. You wind up using some adapters to get it all connected and then need to bury the ignitor somewhere. The headlight housing is very tight internally not sure it can fit inside.

I'll try to post up some pics of the issue over the weekend as I have been working on this on and off for months with a spare set of headlights.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
The EVOX-R's are a direct swap in "some" ways as they have the same front attachment setup where the projector attaches to headlight. The issue is if you have factory xenons (Hella D2S setup) it is difficult to reuse the factory ballast/ignitor setup as the lamp attachment point is quite different and the ignitor unit cannot be attached directly to the EVOX--R. You wind up using some adapters to get it all connected and then need to bury the ignitor somewhere. The headlight housing is very tight internally not sure it can fit inside.

I'll try to post up some pics of the issue over the weekend as I have been working on this on and off for months with a spare set of headlights.
The EvoX has spring arms that hold the D2S bulb in. Then u just nip the 4 little mounting posts off the OEM ignitor, cuz u no longer need the ignitor to hold the bulb to the projector. Then once the bulb is held into the new projector with the spring arms, u just twist the OEM Hella ignitor box onto the D2S bulb and the tension of the pins on the bulbs base hold the ignitor in place.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
The EvoX has spring arms that hold the D2S bulb in. Then u just nip the 4 little mounting posts off the OEM ignitor, cuz u no longer need the ignitor to hold the bulb to the projector. Then once the bulb is held into the new projector with the spring arms, u just twist the OEM Hella ignitor box onto the D2S bulb and the tension of the pins on the bulbs base hold the ignitor in place.
I'll give that a try with an ignitor that already has some missing pins. Thanks for the tip. I'll report back.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I'll give that a try with an ignitor that already has some missing pins. Thanks for the tip. I'll report back.
Nice thing is ya don't need any adapters, and it's very close to factory OEM. U can also use a D2S Morimoto 55 watt kit, and mount the balast under the headlight in the factory position. Than just drill a hole large enough to get the 2 aftermarket Amp pins through the bottom of the housing, and use a rubber grommet. That allows ya to have the higher 55 watt which worked great on my '04 vert.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Reporting back. This is a no go. Maybe the EVOX-R's have changed since you used them? The pins can actually clear the housing without any cutting but the plastic housing of the EVOX-R lamp holder will not allow the factory ignitor to make contact with the lamp base at all. See pics:

Untitled

Untitled

·
Registered
58 Posts
These ideas sound great; however I'm not a tech or anything like it. I'd be satisfied with clear projector lenses, even with OE everything. Here's my crazy idea--use drill bits for polycarbonate and go in through the top or side and clean with microfiber or something on a stick or stiff wire. That way, no removing projectors or assemblies.
And plug the holes with silicon afterward.
I figure if I break a lens, I could always buy a new assembly and see if I can do better on the other side. Is this at all feasible?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bake it open and do it right. Evox-R retrofit and LED switchback strip. The lens is 3" even for the 07.

would that be the same for an '03?

also...check this out...
Cleaning headlight lenses
Thanks for the link--I did clean the lenses--and it helped. Needed more light still so too the plunge after I finally found some LEDs that were supposed to work with the projectors and...worse than before. And, they were a "custom fit"--used epoxy to hold em in place.
So I suppose I'll still need the Evox--I have an 03 Arc--Hella, Morimoto, or...? Will the glue be a big problem? I suppose the glued parts will be replaced anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.