SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like the title says, i am going to replace my hood, driver's side fender,and shifter within the next few days. I recently got my "new" (used) parts from Frank (thanks!) an SC member. I would just replace the shifter knob, but i've been told that it is actually much easier to replace the entire shifter including the boot. I've never done any of this before, so any accurate info that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Please also feel free to PM me with any info or tips, or post links to walkthroughs and such. Lastly, i also have to replace the broken glass cover/lens for the driver's side headlight but i don't yet have the part. Would it be worth it to repace the hood and fender now or should i wait untill i have all of the parts i need? In other words, would i have to remove the bumper or fender or anything to replace the headlight cover?

Thanks, Peter.

P.S.
I am replacing the hood and fender due to some dents caused by both hitting a dear, and being sideswiped by a pickup truck. I am replacing the shifter because the top part with the diagram is screwed up - mechanically it works just fine, but it looks ugly.

P.P.S.
I've just recently moved which accounts for the absence of my beautiful posts, which i am only too sure that many of you have missed dearly.:roll:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

It looks like i can fugure out how to replace the hood and shifter without too much confusion. However, i have no idea where/how to start with removal of the fender.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
A buddy of mine gave me a tip for removing & replacing the hood. Roll up a towel ar two and put them between the open hood and the windshield to keep the hood from sliding into the windshield.

For the fender, the WIS shows removing the side and front lights, removing the wheel liner, then one bolt on the inside of the fender, then removing all the bolts on the top lip of the fender. Nothing's welded. Doesn't look to bad. A torx bit in a 1/2 drill might speed things up... Ron

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the info. That bit about the hood will probably end up saving my windshield - i didn't even consider that risk. With this, and some info i found from another forum i should be good to start working. Wish me luck, i'll probably need it...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
OK, i just started to remove the hood when i noticed the hose that carries the windshield washer fluid from the engine bay to the sprayer mounts on the hood. <- How do i disconnect that hose?

Pics:

Edit: ok, turns out i'm just really dumb;oops:. I didn't want to touch it before for fear of breaking something:roll:, but once i stopped be such a premodonna i simply popped the hose off of the nipple it's attached to. At this rate, i should have the hood off in approximately one week.:eek::lol:

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
That was a pain. IIRC, I just pulled the hose off where it comes through the grommet in the cowling and removed the hood. Then, since I was getting the hood repainted, I pulled the 2 squirters off with their hoses so my buddy would have an easier job repainting the hood... Ron

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All work came to a screeching halt (before i really even got started) as soon as i realized that i need to get a torx set. This'll set me back about one week because i won't have $$ till monday. Any tips on a good torx set (good size range and durability) for our cars would be much appreciated. I'm looking to spend less than 100$. Also, i don't need a complete set, just one that has size ranges most popular on our cars, or cars in general.

Thanks, Peter

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
What ever you do, look at www.harborfreight.com and see if there is a store near you. You cannot beat their prices. They beat Sears Hardware by around 66%. There's a store at 151 Franklin Mills Rd, but it's about 10 miles NE of Philly. I've worked at the Verizon switch at Plymouth Meeting, but it was a long while ago... Ron

·
Registered
208 Posts
All work came to a screeching halt (before i really even got started) as soon as i realized that i need to get a torx set. This'll set me back about one week because i won't have $$ till monday. Any tips on a good torx set (good size range and durability) for our cars would be much appreciated. I'm looking to spend less than 100$. Also, i don't need a complete set, just one that has size ranges most popular on our cars, or cars in general.

Thanks, Peter
I bought a sweet screwdriver set that came with a Drive Input Screwdriver with the little metal adapters with different heads. The Torx case had about 10 different sized heads you just pop into the screw driver. The set was red/black and had tons of screwdrivers in it and cost me like $15-20.

For my sockets I bought the craftsman Evolv Torx set because it was only like $10-$15 for like 8 Torx Bits I think 3/8" wrench.

I got all my tools at sears, can't remember where I got the screwdrivers though.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What ever you do, look at www.harborfreight.com and see if there is a store near you. You cannot beat their prices. They beat Sears Hardware by around 66%. There's a store at 151 Franklin Mills Rd, but it's about 10 miles NE of Philly. I've worked at the Verizon switch at Plymouth Meeting, but it was a long while ago... Ron
Thanks! Those prices do look pretty good, ill look up the closest store or drove to that one if they have a good set.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a sweet screwdriver set that came with a Drive Input Screwdriver with the little metal adapters with different heads. The Torx case had about 10 different sized heads you just pop into the screw driver. The set was red/black and had tons of screwdrivers in it and cost me like $15-20.

For my sockets I bought the craftsman Evolv Torx set because it was only like $10-$15 for like 8 Torx Bits I think 3/8" wrench.

I got all my tools at sears, can't remember where I got the screwdrivers though.
Thanks, ill check that out also. There's a Sears Hardware store about 3 mins from me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Edit: ok, turns out i'm just really dumb;oops:. I didn't want to touch it before for fear of breaking something:roll:, but once i stopped be such a premodonna i simply popped the hose off of the nipple it's attached to. At this rate, i should have the hood off in approximately one week.:eek::lol:
OFF TOPIC: But sharing is caring right?

I just changed my Cabin Air Filter and noticed the same problem when I would pull on the hose it would make a little snapping noise so i got scared I was gonna break something on my way to finishing the task.

I held the adapter in place with my left hand and wiggled the hose off in a determined and focused fashion :D

With my new Cabin Air filter the air blows so much stronger and cleaner smelling, I also vacuumed around the filter. BTW I thought it was an incredibly easy task that dealerships seem to pretend to be knucklebusting :eek:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks, ill check that out also. There's a Sears Hardware store about 3 mins from me.
Just curious BTW what type of Torx equipment are you currently looking for?

Are you looking for Torx bits for screwdrivers?
Torx ratchet bits?
Torx ratchet Esockets?

I have been browsing sites trying to remember where I got my screwdriver set from but I can't remember :( I will post pictures later because it was a sweet deal. I thought it was Sears or Walmart where I got them. Sorry! Goodluck shop smart because the more expensive the tool the more you have to use it before getting your money's worth.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Honestly, i'm not sure. I just found out about torx sets a couple of hours ago. Before that is was: What are these star-shaped holes?

Probably pieces that will fit onto a wratchet. I don't know what the difference is between bits and Esockets, but the sets i was looking at listed the sizes in terms of E. - As in E-27, E-45 etc.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OFF TOPIC: But sharing is caring right?

I just changed my Cabin Air Filter and noticed the same problem when I would pull on the hose it would make a little snapping noise so i got scared I was gonna break something on my way to finishing the task.

I held the adapter in place with my left hand and wiggled the hose off in a determined and focused fashion :D

With my new Cabin Air filter the air blows so much stronger and cleaner smelling, I also vacuumed around the filter. BTW I thought it was an incredibly easy task that dealerships seem to pretend to be knucklebusting :eek:
I recently cleaned mine when i got my windshield replaced. It is pretty easy. You should have seen my original cabin airfilter (replaced by mech druing tune-up a while ago). It was horrible and i definatly noticed a difference after it was replaced.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Honestly, i'm not sure. I just found out about torx sets a couple of hours ago. Before that is was: What are these star-shaped holes?

Probably pieces that will fit onto a wratchet. I don't know what the difference is between bits and Esockets, but the sets i was looking at listed the sizes in terms of E. - As in E-27, E-45 etc.
Ok so as far as I know and I'm not an expert.

Torx bits for drivers and ratchets sockets are means to fit inside the screw, bolt, any hardware to remove it.

Torx E-sockets are piece for ratchets that wrap around the hardware to remove it. This is similar to say Ratchet sockets that fit over nuts and bolts. The E stands for external as opposed to internal where the tool goes inside.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A bit then. I've never actually seen a bolt or screw (or whatever) withthe torx shape sticking out- wierd.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Anyone, anyone?
I removed a fender on a '53 Hudson Jet, some rust, and much age, but doable. The Saab fenders, 1970s,IIRC, was so easy that a blind man could do it.
But for a challenge, these newer cars....no easy task, as I see it.
Nary a word from the second rate Haynes.
I think these fenders are sealed on , with all the screws removed, the fender will stay..The lights and the front body panels would have to be removed, and the plastic inner fender.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/20050523.Saab_NG900_Intercooler/

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109426
Thanks to Lockport's Eric.

You may be the first to remove a 900ng front fender, here at SaabCentral.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you haven't done the hood yet, be careful with the bolts. If there is any rust they could snap off if you apply lots for force to remove them. Put some penetrating oil on them before you're ready to start.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts