SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my rusted muffler with a straight pipe. I left the resonator and cat. Now when I drive the car shakes pretty noticeably almost like the wheels are really out of balance. What could be the reason? The only thing I could think of is that the very last pipe is 2 1/8" and the stock pipe is about 2 1/2" so maybe it is building up pressure as the pipe becomes smaller and that is making it shake.

Also the way it is setup now is barely any louder than it was with the muffler. If I put a larger pipe, say a 3 inch pipe at the end, will it be louder than it is now with the smaller diameter pipe? Or do I need to just spend the money and get something like a Flowmaster 40?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Is it possible that a pipe is in direct contact with the body?

One of the functions of the muffler is to lessen sound and vibration. Ever driven a car with an open downpipe? It will rattle your teeth out.

Also, Flowmasters, or any chambered muffler, are a no-no on turbocharged car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not in contact, I did hold the pipe up by putting wire around the pipe and then around the old muffler mounting hooks. Would that still make the car vibrate?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Wire? I would at least weld a bar from the pipe to the mounting bracket and see if that makes a difference. If it is wheel shake then it has to be something with the suspension or wheels; if it's just more cabin vibration then I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts