SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a chance to get underneath the car yet, but there is MTF oil all over the place, and some was leaking onto the exhaust pipe and steaming off.

What are all the potential leak points are located under the car? Is this only going to end with the transmission coming out?

When it was changed out, the fluid was very dark and metallic, and it was extremely low. When I bought this car about 2 months ago, it had a leak that I assumed was my engine oil, and it seemed to go away after doing some other maintenance. Apparently the transmission was leaking this whole time.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Apparently one of the places the FM55 transmission can leak is between the case halves. The bolts loosen. If the leak is from the bulge in the transmission a bit back from the front, try tightening the nuts/bolts there. (This may have been happening to my 9-5.)

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Yeah, the parts are oriented so the plane they're joined in runs fore and aft.

I'd be a bit suspicious if that's the problem, because it should be a slow leak and not such a fast one. You'll have to clean it up and see if there is a hole in the transmission. Well, also check that both the drain plug and the level check plug on the left side of the transmission, behind the left wheel, are in place!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the parts are oriented so the plane they're joined in runs fore and aft.

I'd be a bit suspicious if that's the problem, because it should be a slow leak and not such a fast one. You'll have to clean it up and see if there is a hole in the transmission. Well, also check that both the drain plug and the level check plug on the left side of the transmission, behind the left wheel, are in place!
Ok thanks for the tips :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts