SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Shark Fin Antenna (STA) has cracks from weathering. Can it be replaced by "Dummy Shark Fin Antenna" that are advertised online? Any recommendation about which to buy? What is procedure for removing the original STA? Will the DummySTA allow the electrical antenna to function? [email protected]

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Do you have original phone (UHP) and/or sat nav system in your car?
If yes, you need original antenna.
If no, it is dummy and you can replace it with dummy shark fin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have original phone (UHP) and/or sat nav system in your car?
If yes, you need original antenna.
If no, it is dummy and you can replace it with dummy shark fin.
[email protected]: I use an iPhone with Google maps, Waze. Riders' have other nav systems which they use in my car. Does that mean that to use those systems that I need the original antenna? Without the original antenna wouldn't the radio has less range far from urban areas?
How do I remove the existing original shark fin? What is the saab part number for a replacement Antenna Fin? I notice there is a very wide spread of sale prices from about $50 to nearly $200. Can it be replaced from the outside or do I need to (how??) loosen the headliner.

·
Registered
8,889 Posts
Shark fin is NOT radio antenna, it is for phone (only with fixed telephone holder which connects external antenna).
Radio antenna is in rear window heater lines (sedan) or trunk side windows (wagon). Convertible uses antenna rod.

Original shark fin is attached with large nut underneath (you need to open roof lining to access).
Original antenna P/N: 12762120, 21, 22 or 23. 12762122 is dummy.
Aftermarket dummy shell glued over old antenna.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts