SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
I have purchased a new set of hoses for my 2000 Saab 93 convertible.
I am looking for instructions / detials on how to carry out the installtion of these new hoses.

Any information would be much appreciated.;ol;

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did it last summer, there's a thread I put some pictures/questions in at the time around here somewhere.

FWIW, it is a complete pain in the *** of a job, but doable. It took me several evenings, lots of patience, and a lot of beer. Access is the issue, it's just hard to get to all the fittings, and getting the rams out/in (which need to come out to replace the hoses).

Good luck!

ok, just looked up the thread if you are interested: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259946

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hose Replacement Resource

Hello,

I realize this thread is older, but I have a 2001 9-3 convertible, and am in the process of replacing hoses for the car.

This post describes what happened to my car:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162325

The black plastic coating on the lines is off, and end of the hose blew out of the cylinder.

Someone who has posted here before about hydraulic fluid (Klaus at Top Hydraulics in Oregon) produced a VERY well thought out tutorial to replacing the hoses on the First Generation Saab convertibles. It's a free PDF:

http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/saab93cylinderlineremovalhires.pdf

It looks like a lot of work, but rather replace one at a time, my mechanic recommends that I do them all. The cylinders (knock on wood) look OK so far.

FYI....the individual hoses are about $99 each, and a complete set with labels and "o" rings for fittings is about $799.

This set includes 10 hoses:

Hydraulic Hose A (P/N 4856597) Tonneau Cover Cylinder Bottom to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose G (P/N 4856589) Right Fifth Bow Cylinder Top to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose N (P/N 4856530) Left Main Drive Cylinder Top to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose O (P/N 4856514) Left Main Drive Cylinder Bottom to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose P (P/N 4856571) Left Fifth Bow Cylinder Top to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose R (P/N 4856555) Left Fifth Bow Cylinder Bottom to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose U (P/N 4856548) Right Main Drive Cylinder Top to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose W (P/N 4856522) Right Main Drive Cylinder Bottom to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose X (P/N 4856605) Tonneau Cover Cylinder Top to hydraulic pump
Hydraulic Hose Y (P/N 4856563) Right Fifth Bow Cylinder Bottom to hydraulic pump

Cylinder sets (for those who need them) are about $150 each, or $600 for the set of five cylinders.

I'll let the folks here know how it goes. Ugh.

Johncn

·
Registered
17 Posts
One hose man

I replaced a single hose - as opposed to the set. The hose blew off at the Ram fitting. All other hoses looked OK - the black plastic is all peeled - looking pretty sad; but they seemed intact. About 4 months later - top is working fine; no oil pools (yet)

I don't have a garage or driveway - so all of my works are done on the street. Hence the minimalist approach (also the broken 'P' hose is probably the easiest to access, so maybe I was lucky).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts