SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a UAC evap with the adapter. The pipes, or tubes, of the adapter extend beyond the firewall, into the engine bay, about 2 inches. I was told that all replacements, no matter the brand, are like this and the pipes have to be bent to fit. If I pull the pipes 2" further into the cabin, it could kink or break them. Besides, it would almost certainly block the connection for the antifrost sensor. And the cover has to go back on. Has anyone done this? Will the pipes take that much movement? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
215 Posts
I'm following this with interest because I am having AC problems as well and am starting to suspect the evaporator. I'm an AC newbie so pardon me if I state the obvious or misinterpret something.

In the engine bay there should be a bracket between the evaporator pipes onto which the expansion valve gets attached, and I don't see that bracket in your photo. The expansion valve does not attach to the firewall, so it may be OK that the tubes stick into the engine bay like they do. My inclination, which may not be correct, would be to go ahead and attach the expansion valve to the evaporator lines and see if I could bend the lines into place as an assembly to get the AC lines from the engine bay to connect to the expansion valve.

When I replaced my expansion valve I noticed that the evaporator lines had some play, which in looking at your photos may be an issue for me as yours look pretty solid and immovable.

I am also interested in how difficult it was to get to and replace the evaporator as well as how you knew it needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had an aftermarket NG900 evaporator made in Taiwan by Man Zai. As shown in picture, the pipes stick out about 4.5 inches from back of evaporator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm following this with interest because I am having AC problems as well and am starting to suspect the evaporator. I'm an AC newbie so pardon me if I state the obvious or misinterpret something.

In the engine bay there should be a bracket between the evaporator pipes onto which the expansion valve gets attached, and I don't see that bracket in your photo. The expansion valve does not attach to the firewall, so it may be OK that the tubes stick into the engine bay like they do. My inclination, which may not be correct, would be to go ahead and attach the expansion valve to the evaporator lines and see if I could bend the lines into place as an assembly to get the AC lines from the engine bay to connect to the expansion valve.

When I replaced my expansion valve I noticed that the evaporator lines had some play, which in looking at your photos may be an issue for me as yours look pretty solid and immovable.

I am also interested in how difficult it was to get to and replace the evaporator as well as how you knew it needed to be replaced.
Thanks for your response! I'll have another go at it today but for now I'll say that something bothers me about the expansion valve dangling out there in the engine bay. While it doesn't attach to the firewall, it does sit in the little padded recess and that may be for a reason. There is almost no play in the evaporator lines; they will have to be forced into position and I don't know how much they can take. All the force would be on the soldered connection on the evaporator. The Eeuro guy said they would take some bending as he has heard this from many techs/customers. He also said that he's never done the job.
The replacement of the evap itself is not bad at all. Get a few ducts and plastic out of the way, cut the pipes with a dremel or whatever, and it slides out with some wiggle. I had a leak somewhere and discovered, after 30 minutes of running with refrigerant, a pool of glowing green water from the drain. Once you get the cover off to the evap, you may see some of it before removal but it's a pretty tight fit so it's impossible to get a good look at the sides of the evap.

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
...The Eeuro guy said they would take some bending as he has heard this from many techs/customers. He also said that he's never done the job.
In typical Eeuro fashion "Yeah, we sell parts that don't fit, and we know it, but we just keep doing it. No, we don't feed this back hard to the supplier so that they will fix the problem. We don't really give a fish as long as we profit".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In typical Eeuro fashion "Yeah, we sell parts that don't fit, and we know it, but we just keep doing it. No, we don't feed this back hard to the supplier so that they will fix the problem. We don't really give a fish as long as we profit".
It was perplexing at first given the design technology available today, however, I don't suppose there's much call for these parts so they make them to accommodate both the 900 and 9-3, which I understand are a little different and this part will fit the 9-3 better. I guess we need to be grateful we can get certain parts at all. Still, this part may be returned. Maybe the Nissens, Air Products Group, or Four Seasons is a better fit? And maybe not.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
In eeuro's defense they're saying this problem is consistent across the entire aftermarket, not something unique to the one product they sell. It wouldn't be the first time the aftermarket has collectively decided to make an ill-fitting part. Perhaps there's a reason... or maybe there is not.

·
Registered
18,810 Posts
In eeuro's defense they're saying this problem is consistent across the entire aftermarket, not something unique to the one product they sell. It wouldn't be the first time the aftermarket has collectively decided to make an ill-fitting part. Perhaps there's a reason... or maybe there is not.
I'll stipulate to that, but I've seen what I've posted at Eeuroparts in two cases myself. They don't care.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
My sole experience was different... I told them the SKF torque converter seal for the AW50 was no bueno and they pulled it. 🤷

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I installed the expansion valve today just to see if it might look a little more possible. I was a bit proud of myself for doing it one-handed but that feeling was short-lived. It looks less possible now. Hate to give up but looks like all I can do with this evap is return it unless there's a wizard out there. Harry?

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Man, that looks all sorts out of whack. If what eeuro guy said is true and they are all like this, what's the next step?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man, that looks all sorts out of whack. If what eeuro guy said is true and they are all like this, what's the next step?
Not sure that they are all alike; guess I'll find out when I order the Nissens. Will let you know.

·
Premium Member
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
215 Posts
FCP Euro and RockAuto have the Nissens Evaporator in stock (I've been shopping around). I would go with FCP Euro as they seem to be more customer oriented and they are a little cheaper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts