SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1988 900 Turbo - Found one half of brake light swith on the floor and brake lights on. Ordered new switch. While lying on my back I can grab the other half of switch still attached to wires. Not sure where to install new switch. And, most important - it is very hard to get to the switch. Do I need to remove part of the lower dash? If yes, how is that done? Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1988 900 Turbo - Found one half of brake light swith on the floor and brake lights on. Ordered new switch. While lying on my back I can grab the other half of switch still attached to wires. Not sure where to install new switch. And, most important - it is very hard to get to the switch. Do I need to remove part of the lower dash? If yes, how is that done? Thank you.
Yes, you need to remove the knee bolster.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=783653&postcount=7

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you very much Paulie.
You're welcome! I had mine out a few weeks ago to attempt a fix of the cruise control. It helps to have both doors wide open when reinstalling. It can be a bit of a PITA, just keep at it. One bonus for me, an annoying squeak from the dash was cured after the job was complete!

·
Registered
689 Posts
You should be able to reach it without removing the bolster if you are flexible.
The switches are quite cheap over here and just clip in.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
You should be able to reach it without removing the bolster if you are flexible.
I agree, I've replaced dozens that way.
If you don't know exactly where to put it though, it might not be best to figure out how to do your first one while standing on your head.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I agree, I've replaced dozens that way.
If you don't know exactly where to put it though, it might not be best to figure out how to do your first one while standing on your head.
One of the things I miss the least about working on cars! Being 6'3" and being upside down in the footwell with my legs over the seatback! Still do my own and it reminds me why I got out of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1992 900 T. I know this is an old thread, hoping someone will see it...
My brake lights stay on even when ignition is off. I immediately ordered a new switch before removing old one.
When the new one came, I took out the old one, tested it with an ohmmeter and found it was still OK.
I replaced it with the new one anyway, (making sure to pull out the plunger as far as it could go) but the issue remained - brake lights stay on when pedal is pressed.
It seems the brake pedal isn't traveling far enough to open/close the switch when the brake pedal is pressed.
If I manually pull the brake pedal away, towards me, it works fine, ie, the brake lights go off.
Is there a way to adjust the brake pedal travel to make sure it engages the switch enough to open/close it? Not sure how to fix this.
thanks for any advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts