SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. This is my first post although I have read many helpful messages.

2004 9-5 Aero Sedan - Glacier Blue

I was getting a yellowing xenon / hid headlight. I bought bargain bulbs on Ebay, 6000K. After a few months my driver side headlight died. New bulb made no diff. I replaced the xenon ballast and it worked for a couple of weeks with no probs. Then it died again. Passenger side is working fine with same bulb.

I am looking for ideas on what is causing these delayed failures. Ballast units are not cheap and I am getting tired of burning them out.

How can I diagnose without cooking another ballast? Relays?

Does anyone repair ballast/headlight control units?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I'd just say, stick with OE SAAB parts. Aftermarket bulbs("upgrades") seem to always have issues.

·
Registered
693 Posts
What comes to mind is voltages for that circuit (driver-side) of the system. Perhaps abnormal high current is causing the ballast to fail prematurely. If you could figure out a way to check this you might get some insight into solving the problem. But it been said "Consider the source." :roll:

·
Registered
152 Posts
When I replaced my original bulbs with Phillips "high quality" bulbs I experienced a failure of each ballast. Could be something with the new bulbs requesting a higher current and putting stress on the old ballasts.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Anyone learn anything more on this? I replaced a failed ballast (control unit) with a new OEM one. This failed after several weeks and I managed to get the dealer to replace under warranty..... The light on that side just went out again so I suspect there is something more going on her. Any ideas what to check? This may require a visit to the dealer $$ :(

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had the same problem on my '02 Aero. Tried the ebay specials (8000K) and it fried one of the control modules. I got a replacement from Goldwing for $100. shipped. Put new Philips Xenarcs in and no problems. The control module is a Valeo and they are found on several other makes of vehicles. As long as it's the same pin configuration it should work fine.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I am using the Philips Xenarcs and the bulbs seem to be fine. For some reason I am having a repeated failure of the control unit (not the bulb) on the driver side. AZ Saab, what replacement unit are you referring to for $100 - the bulb or the control unit?

·
Registered
375 Posts
The control unit is what Goldwing sells for $100. Call and ask for Kyle, he'll get you what you need. On the control unit they also give a 1 year warantee. They're in Hastings NY so you should get it pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Perfect! Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll need to get tot the root of the problem, but it's nice to know there is a decent source for the control unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
SAAB OEM Ballast

first some guy like 6000K bulb, then chose aftermarket D1S 6000K bulb .

if you choose this bulb ,will made oem xenon ballast have problem. so choose is oem is right.

saab 9-5 oem ballast is this type.

share it .:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
2002 9-5 aero xenon issues

having similar if not same issues identified in this thread. here's my specifics. are we still all in agreement that the so called Philips bulbs(i was lead to believe these were actually xenon's from Philips) are still the culprit?

passenger side xenon failed, replaced driver and passenger xenon with philips units (6000k) from http://www.philipsxenon.com. both worked fine for a week or so then driver side failed. swapped passenger and driver side bulbs and drivers side still not working. hi lo metal flapper works on both side. tried swapping the control unit relay in relay box under hood with like kind(same numbers and all, gray colored relays) from relay box and now neither side xenon work. swapped back and still neither side xenon works. didn't check this before all above done but the H7 bulbs don't work either when engaging flash to pass from control stick on steering column. if it matters, front and rear fog's work as do all parking lights. I'm baffled, please help someone as i obviously can't drive at night now until it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All, Just got a 2007 9-5 lpt sport. Had the old 900 in late 80's. Here's my problem: sporadic failure of Xenons on both sides: some times left on, sometimes right, sometimes both. Is there one control unit for both lights? Anyone know where it/they is/are. I'm in the dark here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.