SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a small divot knocked out of my lower fascia. The defect is less than 1 cm and the part is still hanging. The area is right next to the rear wheel, so I might have a little access from the back side.

Most car bumpers are ABS, which doesn't respond to solvent glues. It needs to be welded with ABS.

I was thinking of trying your basic rig-job with a 25 W soldering iron. I just want to stick the hanging piece back on and smooth it a bit. Since it's near the wheel it's bound to get dirty and hit with road debris all the time anyway.

Anyone ever tried this before?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ctrlz said:
I see they sell bumper repair kits, which apparently work on ABS.
I dunno.
I think you're jumping the gun here. How do you know it's ABS?

It could be urethane or polypropylene. You should really take a look.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Im lost here how many ctrlzs' do we have on this board??

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I found my answer, no thanks to ctrlz.

Sticks for hot glue guns use a mix of polyethylene and polypropylene. This should be enough to hold my dangling bit in place. The repair I'm attempting is more for cosmetic purposes, not strength.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Schizophrenia:................

We just defined it on this forum!!!!

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The glue gun worked pretty well. It looks like the plastic used in the bumpers and fascia material is reinforced with fiber, so there was a lot of "tooth" for the molten plastic glue to grab onto. I don't think the repair would have much shear strength, but maybe OK in tension (but still not like a true weld). At any rate it made a good cosmetic repair.

I'm gonna see how it responds to a bit of touch-up paint. The whole area needs to be sanded and painted to get the scuffs out, but I may try some minor improvements first.

BTW, you boys seem to be confusing schizophrenia with MPD (multiple personality disorder). Schizophrenia is characterized by delusions, which usually means the patient "hears voices."

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
ctrlz said:
BTW, you boys seem to be confusing schizophrenia with MPD (multiple personality disorder). Schizophrenia is characterized by delusions, which usually means the patient "hears voices."
I sure am glad we have ctrlz here (all of you) to help edify us! :lol:

·
Registered
193 Posts
ctrlz said:

During my medical training, we used to say..." the nice thing about schizophrenia, is that you're never alone:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts