SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I recently bought a beautiful Saab 900 XSi 1992 3dr in Eucalyptus green, its my first car and shes a real beauty, done 239,000 miles but has 12months mot and drives great.
I have a few minor problems and wondered if anyone can give me some advice on fixing them.

1. My clock doesnt work....Any ideas?
1b. Fuel gauge doesnt work but low tank warning light does? maybe loose wiring to level trasmitter...
2. To above problem maybe i can replace a fuse, if so how do i do this...do i buy a fuse or wire etc...."I know nothing"
3. She is suffering from rust on the inner bottom door seals and id like to fix them as best i can. What do i need and how should i tackle this problem.
4. In 2nd gear sometimes she doesnt like it and it seems that although the stick is in 2nd the engine isnt really in there, changing up to 3rd seems the best move. Maybe the mesh?

All the advice here is great and much appreciated.

Im soon to replace the headliner and the information provided here should guide me through this procedure pretty well. I am finding it hard to source the 3m 90 adhesive....has anyone found a good substitute adhesive spray. I prefer to use the 3m 90 if possible as i know this has good high temperature resistance and come summer parked up in a hot car park while im surfing such resistance may be necesary..

well thanks in advance

·
Registered
954 Posts
From what I have been told is that the contacts need to be cleaned. There are 2 ribbon connectors, 1 on each side of the gauge cluster. kinda like an old printer cable for a computer. You unplug it and spray some contact cleaner on both of them and plug them back in. They are a bit tricky to get to. You need to pull off the front facia which is held in by 4 really long screws. once you pull the facia off and unplug all the wires and what not. you can unscrew the 4 screws that the cluster in then take the (you are in UK?)right speaker grill off, and look in there. You can see the spedo cable, unplug it and the ribbon plugs too. then take the cluster out and clean the contacts. The worst part of the job is disconnecting all those wires!! I have done it a few times and no fun. well good luck

·
Registered
888 Posts
I had one clock go bad, replaced it with one from a junk yard (now I have an extra tach) I had another clock not work, and I found there was a screw on the back that was loose and the clock was not getting a good ground. Check the tab on the back of the clock to see if it is getting power, then check the screw on the back to see if it is getting a good ground. This will trace your power to either no power, no ground, or a bad clock. The clocks do give up the ghost after a while. Maybe they are repairable? It is a common VDO clock. My dad's 450 SL has the same clock.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
davidlytle said:
From what I have been told is that the contacts need to be cleaned. There are 2 ribbon connectors, 1 on each side of the gauge cluster. kinda like an old printer cable for a computer. You unplug it and spray some contact cleaner on both of them and plug them back in. They are a bit tricky to get to. You need to pull off the front facia which is held in by 4 really long screws. once you pull the facia off and unplug all the wires and what not. you can unscrew the 4 screws that the cluster in then take the (you are in UK?)right speaker grill off, and look in there. You can see the spedo cable, unplug it and the ribbon plugs too. then take the cluster out and clean the contacts. The worst part of the job is disconnecting all those wires!! I have done it a few times and no fun. well good luck
You can get those multiplugs off, clean 'em, and back on just through the speaker grille hole with little problem. It's a lot easier if you stand outside the car looking in through the windscreen, with your arms round the A-pillar.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The clock can fail with time. I bought 18 year old C900 and the clock was not working. Replaced it with one from scrapyard. Best to pull the instrument cluster and remove clock when you get home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your wise words

Cheers for the advice everyone.

I will clean those contacts/multiplugs asap if it stops raining!!! Do you think that the fuel gauge could be affected in the same way as the clock?... the low level fuel warning light works fine but gauge is inactive like the clock......

I will clean it all and see what happens

J

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
J - if you're not doing anything tomorrow evening, come to the Great Western Saabs regular pub meet:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115033

We meet at a pub just outside Thornbury near Bristol (details in the thread).

It'll be a slightly different evening to usual as we'll be discussing us organising next year's National but should still be enjoyable. PM me if you want to know more.

Welcome to SaabCentral :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts