SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My convertible came with a rather nice car cover that is quite rugged and Saab 900-specific,

Problem is that it is starting to tear apart, exposing the top to the weather (and fading)

Does anyone know which cover is this? If not, how could I repair it?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Try http://CarCovers.com for a new cover or perhaps to identify yours.

I did a temporary repair once to my wife's vert roof (not a cover) by using a piece of fiberglass and urethane glue. It seems like I used Gorilla Glue. After cutting the FG to size, I applied it with the urethane to the back side of the roof, soaking the FG pretty good. The patch was both strong and waterproof. The down side it that the patch is quite stiff and stronger than the surrounding fabric. Luckily my patch was in a flat place on the roof that didn't need to bend when storing.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
according to this group on Facebook, the universe is held together with gaffa tape :cool:

i would get 2 or 3 strips, stick them together so you have a good size coverage, and apply to the back of the cover, and wiegh it down under something heavy and flat to get it good and stuck. should be strong enough and watertight to a degree

i did this with some black insualtion tape when a pair of work trousers got caught in my bike chain on the way to work.... lasted for months :cool:

G

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
That looks like a dead ringer for the covers I get at Costco. They run about $30 and are the same material as much more $$$$ ones, they are just made from scraps, or are sewn up funny. Who cares about that?
One thing I have had happen using a cover on the vert is...
Abrasion damage on the top at the front corners and the rear trim strip that goes over the roof above the glass.
Wish I could figure a way around this problem.:confused:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you post a picture of the Costco one you bought? I thought the cover I had was Saab specific because of the way the side is sewn into the top: it sure has the shape of a saloon Saab down to the notched trunk.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
supremedalek said:
Could you post a picture of the Costco one you bought? I thought the cover I had was Saab specific because of the way the side is sewn into the top: it sure has the shape of a saloon Saab down to the notched trunk.
Your might be SAAB specific, but the Costco one is the same material, just not so well fitted. I am not using it on the car right now because it damages the top.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts