SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I'd think the easiest thing is a sawzall and a junkyard ;) Or form some metal yourself depending what is damaged (if it is the lip/wheel well area that would be a PITA to make out of sheet steel)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Does the German supplier happen to be Skandix? If so they have a US distributor @ www.skandix-us(a?).com (not sure about the "a"). if they have the panel in their inventory, they will send it to the US distributor on a special request through the US website..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the German supplier happen to be Skandix? If so they have a US distributor @ www.skandix-us(a?).com (not sure about the "a"). if they have the panel in their inventory, they will send it to the US distributor on a special request through the US website..
Unfortunately they don't. I probably have to get it from Germany or fabricate myslf...

This is the panel from Germany...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd think the easiest thing is a sawzall and a junkyard ;) Or form some metal yourself depending what is damaged (if it is the lip/wheel well area that would be a PITA to make out of sheet steel)
Coming from Germany I guess I'm a little bit spoiled with repair panels, espacially if it's only 25 Euros..:)

... and find a rear fender without rust in Minnesota...

Bernd

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Coming from Germany I guess I'm a little bit spoiled with repair panels, espacially if it's only 25 Euros..:)

... and find a rear fender without rust in Minnesota...

Bernd
Yeah why the heck to the Germans have rust-repair panels especially for Saab 900 ... I mean there must be 100 times as many Saab 900 in the USA than in Germany

If you are from Germany go visit your relatives and bring one back in your luggage :cheesy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I repaired the rosted out wheel well ...

Here is my little story on the wheel well repair.. Hope you like it..

After not being successful getting a repair panel for the wheel well I decided to go with fiberglass. Following some pictures how I did the repair. I need to say that I haven't done this before so that might be something totally normal for some others... nevertheless I was proud how it turned out...

First the surprise: big hole after finding lots of old fiberglass ...

2. Reinforce with fiberglass and close the hole

3. Preparations for making a fiberglass mold using the existing wheel well
- Tape it up

- Use fiberglass mat and resin to construct the mold. Making sure it get's the form correctly..

4. Take off the mold and cut it to size so it fits the rosted out section..

5. Use fiberglass to put the mold in place..

6. Use filler and sand it down until it get's the shape

7. Prime it and paint it and be done...))

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That looks rather decent, I must say.

Last week I did this to my 84 900 4 door..

View attachment 13486

View attachment 13487

View attachment 13488

View attachment 13489

I will replace both doors and bondo the rest.

The car was pristine, so I MUST fix it.
If mine comes out as clean as yours did, I will not have to kick my own @$$.

I really want to though.
I really, really want to.....;oops:
Oh no..... I hate when that happens....
You should definitely repair. Just have the patients I sometimes lack...:)

Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Here is my little story on the wheel well repair.. Hope you like it..

After not being successful getting a repair panel for the wheel well I decided to go with fiberglass. Following some pictures how I did the repair. I need to say that I haven't done this before so that might be something totally normal for some others... nevertheless I was proud how it turned out...
I think you did a brilliant job!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Yeah why the heck to the Germans have rust-repair panels especially for Saab 900 ... I mean there must be 100 times as many Saab 900 in the USA than in Germany

If you are from Germany go visit your relatives and bring one back in your luggage :cheesy:
Probably due to the fact that they (Germany) are VERY serious about car maintenance and probably sell those panel all over Europe. Most folks ther can probably travel on a day trip and get them or have local distributors for the parts.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Because, thanks to the EPA we don't manufacture anything in this country anymore. A puff of smoke or a drop of dirty water on the ground is now a crime. If you can't pollute, you can't manufacture. At least our environment is now uncontaminated with working people. Thanks EPA!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ruttkowb THAT LOOKS EXCELLENT!!!! Good job deffinetly. Did you do the paint matching yourself or did you bring it to a body shop?
Thank you! I painted myself, but it took me 2 times to get it right (running paint ;oops:..). The paint no. 228 matched pretty good...:) Nevertheless I still got a little orange peel look which I will sand down with grid 1500/2000 and polish afterwards (found that on the internet..) but I need to wait at least 3 weeks to have the paint cure properly. That gives me time to work on all the other "non-working" stuff like A/C, dashboard lights etc...:)

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Because, thanks to the EPA we don't manufacture anything in this country anymore. A puff of smoke or a drop of dirty water on the ground is now a crime. If you can't pollute, you can't manufacture. At least our environment is now uncontaminated with working people. Thanks EPA!
But Germany has all that EU directive stuff, it can't be much better :lol:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi, my T16 is developing a similar rear arch problem. Does anyone know if a repair panel is available from SAAB or an independent manufacturer in the UK?

I could cut a section off a donor vehicle I have but I am not reafy to start cutting into yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Instead of cutting up your car, do as you see in this thread.
Fiberglass patch kits are available anywhere.
Fiberglass is easy to shape and is a lot easier than cutting and welding.
With a little patience(and some practice on something you don't care about), you might surprise yourself with the results.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts