SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 16V's hood/bonnet badge needs to be replaced with a new one. When the car was repaired the repairer put the old badge on the new bonnet but all the enamel, etc. has gone (it was like that before). I was wondering what method peopl euse to release the old one, given that it looks to be adhered with some double-sided tape and has two locating pins going onto the hood/bonnet presumably to keep the badge straight.

I don't want to ruin the brand new paint job on the car from when it was repaired! :cool:

Regards,

Craig.

·
Registered
73 Posts
c900 said:
My 89 16V's hood/bonnet badge needs to be replaced with a new one. When the car was repaired the repairer put the old badge on the new bonnet but all the enamel, etc. has gone (it was like that before). I was wondering what method peopl euse to release the old one, given that it looks to be adhered with some double-sided tape and has two locating pins going onto the hood/bonnet presumably to keep the badge straight.

I don't want to ruin the brand new paint job on the car from when it was repaired! :cool:

Regards,

Craig.
i think i read on ebay or somewhere that you need to put a towel or cloth at the bottom of the badge and lever a knife or flat bladed screwdriver underneath the badge on the cloth. do that for the top and bottom and it should pop out, but watch out the pins don't fall back into the hole. have a search on google or the tech help above.

good luck

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The cloth method works well. There shouldn't be any double sided tape behind the emblem, just the 2 pins.

Good luck,
-Rob

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
aznsaab said:
I saw somewheres in the bowles of Ebay, a guy was selling decals of a sort. From what I gather you place it directly on top of your old badge but the decal makes it look new and you don't have to worry about it peeling anymore.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/saab-hood-emblem-decal-sticker-scania-900-93_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50446QQihZ015QQitemZ250174043461QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
I saw one of those in person this weekend on a guy's 9000, it looked ok, but you could tell it was a sticker if you were up close. I have a feeling if you weren't a saab guy you wouldn't ever notice. The fresh OEM ones look sooo good, though.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
c900 said:

Regards,

Craig.
I took dental floss and gently worked it off.Not an original idea,I read it somewhere,but it worked.

·
Registered
16 Posts
TheRedBaron said:
I saw one of those in person this weekend on a guy's 9000, it looked ok, but you could tell it was a sticker if you were up close. I have a feeling if you weren't a saab guy you wouldn't ever notice. The fresh OEM ones look sooo good, though.
Looks good to me - I got a badge to replace mine from the scrapyard and in just a few weeks the enamel had worn off again - not sure why?

A tip on removing the old badge - the pins holding the badge in place break very easily, so pry it out *very* carefully, prise it up all the way round with a thin knife half a milimetre at a time, with an old glove or cloth underneath your knife to prevent bodywork scratches.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TooMany2cvs said:
Agreed. And they're not exactly expensive.

There was no tape on mine - just a gentle pry from one side, and out it popped. When you look at the new one, it'll be obvious which way to pry it.
I think the tape on mine is what the smash repairers used. There is an obvious pry mark at the front part of the badge and I guess they used tape to make sure the badge doesn't come off.

Craig.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
craigpulsar said:
Looks good to me - I got a badge to replace mine from the scrapyard and in just a few weeks the enamel had worn off again - not sure why?

A tip on removing the old badge - the pins holding the badge in place break very easily, so pry it out *very* carefully, prise it up all the way round with a thin knife half a milimetre at a time, with an old glove or cloth underneath your knife to prevent bodywork scratches.
well, I changed my badge recently. Original was 1/2 lost the color/enamel. I susspect autowash place ... where I go they first apply some some detergent and high pressure water manually ... I think that water jet ruined my badge, although only front one ... and my hub caps as they got bubbles all around ...

now I take off my hub caps as I go in there ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.