SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08..... this is a different style arm than the 05 down. Usually have no problems with this kind of stuff, but can’t figure out to get old ones off. I see the end closest to windshield has an arrow pointing down as if it needs to be squeezed and pushed down at same time. But that’s for install I believe. Ugh! Help appreciated

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I saw your message pop-up on my phone, so I went out to the driveway to remove a blade so I could provide an accurate description.
  1. The end of the metal arm disappears into a recess at the end of the wiper blade mounting block. Last time I replaced my blades I had to squirt some silicone spray or similar into this recess to overcome the 'stiction' which was preventing the arm from being extracted from its tight little home. This is probably your problem
  2. The other end of the mounting block has two release buttons, one on each side of the blade, which must be compressed together slightly then pushed in unison toward the windshield for 3 mm (1/8-inch) or so. These release the locking tab which secures the blade to the arm.
  3. With the buried end lubed, and the locking tab released, the blades will begrudgingly slide off the end of the metal arms.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got them off.... I sprayed PB in compression end on one blade and snapped off plastic on the other.
Was able to squeeze and push away from windshield to slide off. Little more work removing these from the 05 style.
Had to get these from FCP Euro as not too many others had a pair of 23”... lot of 23/22 pairs out there. Valeo..... 33.00 shipped.
Know your not a fan of the brand, but I liked the Ultimates from them. Don’t think they make those for the 06-09 years. I’ll see how these hold up.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a pair of pre 06. Going to put hem on my 08. Wiper prices for new 06+ are stupid high.
The 05 down is a J hook style.... I don’t think those will work on the now flat end style for the 06 up.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Can't you just switch the whole arms from pre 2006 cars?
Yep, you can do that. Maybe that's what Mike meant, was that he changed out the arms. All of the wipers for these cars are slightly odd, though. The '99-'05 models use 23" wipers, which isn't exactly a standard length. Valeo/SWF and Bosch do make wipers just for the 9-5 that are 23" and have a spoiler on the driver's side, though, and of course there are the factory ones, but they're kind of cheap looking since the frames are half plastic.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You can switch the whole arm. I bought a set of arms off an '06 from a Pick-n-Pull yard back in 2012, just in case the sleek new style of wiper blades disappeared with SAAB. I still have them in my parts cabinet. The expensive blades seem to last twice as long as the old style blades on my wife's car, and look better IMHO, so I will continue to use them as long as I can find them. Quality blades of the old style have passed $20 now, so the newer style no longer has quite as great of price premium.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I found a pair of pre 06. Going to put hem on my 08. Wiper prices for new 06+ are stupid high.
Got them off.... I sprayed PB in compression end on one blade and snapped off plastic on the other.
Was able to squeeze and push away from windshield to slide off. Little more work removing these from the 05 style.
Had to get these from FCP Euro as not too many others had a pair of 23”... lot of 23/22 pairs out there. Valeo..... 33.00 shipped.
Know your not a fan of the brand, but I liked the Ultimates from them. Don’t think they make those for the 06-09 years. I’ll see how these hold up.
I think I bought my most recent pair form RockAuto, or TireRack.

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Valeo/SWF and Bosch do make wipers just for the 9-5 that are 23" and have a spoiler on the driver's side, though, and of course there are the factory ones, but they're kind of cheap looking since the frames are half plastic.
To their advantage, the factory blades last for years, even on my car which is outdoors 100% of the time.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I bought my most recent pair form RockAuto, or TireRack.
I originally ordered the Valeo Scencios from Rock, only to be notified they did not in fact have them. The difference was 2-3.00 vs FCP. Valeo hard to find for a decent price. eBay is through the roof on these surprisingly.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I'm confused...when I need wipers I go to my local Canadian Tire store and can get Bosch or Reflex or Rain X or even the CTC store brands replacement blades for somewhere between forty and fifty dollars.

Why are folks having a hard time sourcing them?

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
What year is your car, Bob? If it's pre-2006, then you shouldn't have any problems, other than the fact that anything an auto parts store has is most likely going to be 22" instead of 23". I just bought a set of Bosch's 23" wipers that are made for the 9-5 for $19.99 on eBay. That didn't seem too horrible. The part number is 3397118451. The set I have on my car now has lasted quite a while, and now it's time for my wife's car to get new blades.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts