SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been following all the different threads in this site with a lot of interest!! ;ol; I have learned a lot from all of you, now I need a little bit of help.

I have been dealing with a leaking valve cover gasket, which I have removed the valve cover and I have cleaned up. I also found that the valve cover plug (where the distributor used to go) has been leaking for a while, so I decided to replace as well.

The problem that I am presently having is that I have already broken two T40 tamper-proof bits and the bolts are not budging at all. I am following the standard rotation here (left-turn to loosen), but nothing happens and the bits keep breaking.

Has anybody run into this problem? I have consulted the WIS about this and nothing has come in regards to the procedure to remove this plug, which is straight forward.

Do I need to apply heat to head to loosen these bolts? I would appreciate your opinions about this, since it is driving me crazy.

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hmmmm...I'd assume they have thread locker on them, and given expansion and contraction they've seized up quite well. My $0.02 would be to give end of the bit some swift taps with a hammer, shock the threads a little.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
What are you using to turn the bit with? I think I had to use at least a 3/8" ratchet on mine since they were so tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You know, this is the first time ever that this valve cover has been removed in this car. This is also the original plug, and I don't know if thread locker was applied on these bolts at the factory.

I am going to go get a new bit and I am going to try what you are recommending. I tried to hit the bolts only with a dead-blow hammer, but nothing.

What type of hammer do I need to use here?

I will also report back when I take this off, and they are going to come off!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started with a 1/4" drive, but there is no leverage at all; so I moved to a 3/8" drive with a 1/4" adapter.

I even used an impact electric gun and no luck. I am thinking of using a 1/2" air impact gun to try as well. Do you think that might work? I am going to "wacked" the bolts with the bit on as suggested.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just knock the plug out and tap the new one in, leave the bolts alone.
Seconded, the plug is not a pressfit, it just slips in with a big o-ring to hold it in place.

When I bought my car the plug was leaking and I slipped it out by hand. The o-ring was hardened to the point I couldn't pry it out of its groove. I put some black RTV around the old, hardened o-ring and slipped the plug back in, and haven't had any leaks since

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you'r breaking the bits than I would say try to find a better quality tool which won't break. When I did this I bought one of these from Lowes and did not have any issues. Not saying Kobalt is the best brand but maybe find something of higher quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts