SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a vacuum fitting (on the vacuum pump on the end of the engine) that has partially come apart. The inside collar that grabs the vacuum line fell apart in several pieces, but the outer body that pushes into the vacuum pump is still tight. I've got a new fitting (P/N: 55557389) but now can't get the old one out of the pump. The new fitting has a metal "one-way" star ring around it, so I'm guessing the old one has the same? I've tried prying out the old fitting with a flat blade under the edge, but all I'm doing is mangling the plastic. I'm trying to do this without removing the plastic intake pipe or the vacuum pump.
Does anyone have a good way to do this without pulling all of these parts off?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Stop trying to remove the whole fitting! That could end badly. All you should have to do is pull out the red locking collar, then use a small screwdriver to remove the small o-ring. Then just swap the o-ring and red collar from the new fitting.

·
Registered
2000 93 SE Vert Auto 2001 93 SE Vert 5spd
194 Posts
Been there, Done that, Mangled some plastic - then I consulted the forum. I never got the fitting out, but fortunately the red fitting still fit and all was good.

I didn't know about the o-ring until this post so I may need to go back and upgrade my work.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stop trying to remove the whole fitting! That could end badly. All you should have to do is pull out the red locking collar, then use a small screwdriver to remove the small o-ring. Then just swap the o-ring and red collar from the new fitting.
Sure, I could do that. But the fitting is 19 yrs old w/190k mi of engine heat on it. I've got an all-new fitting. Surely there must be a way to remove the old one?

·
Registered
899 Posts
In order to remove that fitting is like major surgery, the metal teeth are one way and basically you need to flip them over or cut it thru so you can remove it. Mangling it is the general rule. :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sure, I could do that. But the fitting is 19 yrs old w/190k mi of engine heat on it. I've got an all-new fitting. Surely there must be a way to remove the old one?
I know it's irritating having to buy the whole fitting and find out that you really only need the small bits. You'd go to a lot of trouble to use the complete new fitting. Hours of frustrating work vs a couple minutes to swap the locking ring and o-ring.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'll toss this in the pot. If the red lock collar broke apart then you have to buy that whole assembly to get a replacement, bummer. If your fitting it just leaking vacuum (or you lost/destroyed an o-ring) then you can get replacement o-rings from auto parts or hardware stores. This might seem obvious but I've seen a bunch of threads over the years people freaking out they can't buy just the o-ring from saab as if it was some wacky proprietary part.

Any time I've got one of these cars in the garage I pop all the red collars out and replace the o-rings with some fuel/oil safe rings from the parts store. You might need to get a few sizes and test fit to find the size that fits snugly in the outer fitting and holds the hose snug. I test fit with the red collar removed to get the best idea of how hold the o-ring is holding the hose

·
Registered
18,549 Posts
Yeah... just use the red ring and the o-ring from the new one. There's no advantage to changing the fitting and there is a downside.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sigh, okay....

Yes, the red plastic collar came apart. For the past year I've been using the 'temporary' fix of wrapping the vacuum line with a layer of self-fusing rubber tape and then a layer of tacky cloth friction tape, and then pushing it into the body of the vacuum fitting still stuck in the vacuum pump. It's worked perfectly, even after several removals to try and pull the fitting out of the pump.

Like RovingSaab said, it's definitely irritating to pay for a complete fitting and only need the collar. Oh well. 🤬

1 - 11 of 11 Posts