SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am a first time Saab owner, having recently bought an 89 900ems. I need to get the car through the local roadworthy test & think the indicator stalk will fail as it does not stay up.
I am having problems removing the Turn stalk, have located & removed the bottom screw,
how do I get to the top screw. Do I have to remove more dash trim or steering wheel. Have already removed plastic trim below steering wheel above kickboard.
thanks
William

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
give your senter section a good tug and it'll pop off then you can pull your steering wheel
from there its 3 more screws and you'll have the whole lever arm, out to fix, if you need details on how to fix this itself let me know

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Remove the steering wheel lower cover - it's held on with a plastic clip underneath and two screws to either side of the steering column. The two stalks are fixed onto a U shaped bracket which is in turn bolted to the column.

IIRC, unbolting the U bracket and disconnecting the stalks' multiplugs should be enough for removal. No need to remove the steering wheel. HTH :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Yeah that's right. Undo the U bracket and the indicator and wiper stalks falldown so you can get to the screws holding them in.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
it can be, i have before its about an hours for of fiddling but its not too bad, if anyone wants to know the procedure just pm me about it

·
Registered
70 Posts
The indicator stalks not holding in position is a simple fix if you are careful.
You need a drill
a 1/16 and a 1/8 inch drill bit
2 small screws suit the 1/16 inch bit
a small amount of epoxy resin(preferable) or superglue
You need to drill out the two rivits holding the swith together using a 1/16 inch drill bit. Dont completely get rid of the aluminium rivit as it is needed to stabliise the switch.
Drill down about 3/8 of an inch
Carefully seperate the switch.
The switch has a roller that rolls onto small flats on turn the flats wear and the switch dosnt hold on.
You use the 1/8 drill to erode away the worn flats and create a small pocket for the roller to index into on each side of the switch. Reassemble the switch occationally to ensure you have a created a positive click and hold on position on both sides of the switch.
The pass conection in the switch is a little brass tab that is held in by the rivits, it comes loose when you disassemble the switch and is a pain in the *** on reassembly. Use some epoxy to glue the brass contact into position making the switch and save the frustration on assemble. Reassemble and hold together with the tiny screws you have to provide
I've fixed both cruise control and non cruise control switches this way and they work great.
regards Mooreb

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depends on how much the stalk ramp is worn. On the two I have done the ramps were too worn for just increasing the tension
The method I describe is not hard to do and its reliable.

regards Mooreb

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
turn stalk spring

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, took the stalks off easily, took it apart & think mine's got a spring problem. I will replace this with one fractionally longer & see how it goes. I read somewhere in the forum that a tap spring will do the job. anyone have any ideas.
cheers
Bruce :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
repair turn stalk

Mooreb can you please elaborate a little on the following
"The switch has a roller that rolls onto small flats on turn the flats wear and the switch dosnt hold on.
You use the 1/8 drill to erode away the worn flats and create a small pocket for the roller to index into on each side of the switch. Reassemble the switch occationally to ensure you have a created a positive click and hold on position on both sides of the switch."
thanks
William

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
In mine the spring had broken and the 2 bits had wound into each other, I just turned the 2 pieces around and re-assembled the switch!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts