SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've got a stock '97 900NG and I was reading up on some of the mods you guys have done - saw 'removed turbo silencer' and it got me curious. how would one go about removing a turbo silencer and is it worth it (does it make the car sound more badass)? and is it technically legal?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Very easy, yes it makes a difference, and yes its legal, after 2000 they stopped using them. Best way to get at it you can do it without lifting the car but is was a pain in the butt. Anyway, ramp up the car, and slide directly underneath the car where the front license plate is. Right after the plastic undersheild ends, there will be about a 2 foot pipe, that has a slight bend in it, remove that and with a flathead screwdriver peel the the tabs inside the pipe and pull it out with a pair of needlenose pliers. Don;t worry if you ruin it cause your gonna throw it out, also don't be alarmed if you find a bit of oil in there as well. I after it is all out, (make sure you get all the little bits out) reinstall and your good to go, you should notice a very slight difference in sound and spool up, it won;t make a major difference but noticeable. Definaltely a good fast mod. 20-30min.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I had to bust mine up to get it out so dont worry if its rather stubbern. As for the sound it makes the turbo whine a little more noticable which is nice but not in the least bit overpowering. Performance wise I wasnt really sure as I did the K&N panel filter at the same time, but both together really helped spool up/throttle response on the highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts