SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bentley Service Manual says, "A tie rod end removal fork should not be used to remove the tie rod end."

The Haynes Manual says you can use, "a separator tool to remove the tie rod end."

How do some of you all remove the tie rod end???

Bentley mentions Saab tool no. 89 95 409 but I don't know were to buy that tool or do you specifically have to have that tool ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are replacing it just loosen the nut and use a hammer. If you are reusing it don't loosen the nut completely but hammer the nut instead to protect the threads. Using a fork will likely damage the rubber. If the hammer doesn't work then find the separator tool which doesn't need to be a Saab specific tool. At least here those can be found at any decent tools/parts stores for about 10 dollars.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
How I have ever seen done was to loose the tie rod nut and then hit the side of that thingie the tie rod bolt goes through with a hammer. The idea is to shock it so it will loose it. I will be doing that when I put a new boot and tie rod end in my white Saab.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I second the hammer idea. Pound around the bolt first and then loosen the nut. Pound on the nut. It only took a few hits for mine to come out

1 - 8 of 8 Posts