SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure I broke my parking brake handle. I need to remove the central dash to see. I removed the back seat ashtray and 2 nuts and a screw from the backend. But I cannot figure out how to remove the front end.

In other words, I am trying to remove the central dash. I can get the back end disconnected from the car, but cannot figure how to get the front end disconnected. I could try forcing it, but am pretty sure I will damage it if I do.

I have a 1994 900s manuel. I have looked all over web with no success. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i just took mine out yesteray. its a small socket screw x2. like said above right under the rubber shift boot, then it clips off and you slide her our after disconnecting all the wires.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
IMO, you are doing more complex work and should invest in the shop manual ($$$) or you can economize and struggle with the Haynes manual ($$)- OK for beginners and non-pros...

The gaiter is a boot or bellows, all are coverings .....

I have found it was easier to remove the front seat to reveal and access things - but now, that would be an hour of work !!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Check out the "Ignition Switch Replacement" thread. Here you will find a ton of good info..

You are trying to R and R the console , not a center dash...
Awfully hard to break the handle, better check the cables underneath..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There is a a smaller panel that pops up right next to where the stick shift is. (where the key goes into the ignition).
I popped that up which revealed 2 small nuts which I undid and then It slid out (after unconnecting the wires that is). And I only broke 2 small plastic snaps doing it! :D Thanks for the help trying to figure it out.

Yea, the handle does not seem to be broken, so its most likely the cable I would assume. I looked underneath and followed the cable back to the rear axle. There it enters some device and two cables exit it each going to a different tire. The one going to the left tire is snapped. Is that easy to repair? Or am I stuck going to a dealer where they surely soak me regardless of my financial status. :cry:

Also, If I own a 1994 900s non convertable, why doesn't this thread belong in the 1994s forum?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Here's the part number for the cable, if you decide to diy this. I would call the dealer or a mechanic and get a quote, then decide. Any chain like Tires Plus or Midas, or anyone who does brakes can do it too.

An aftermarket (scantech )part is sold by eEuroparts.com and saabsite.com. Not sure if your car has the dual cable setup like some early models, so installation may vary depending on your version, because the new part may look different from the old one. The cable connection at the wheel is easy, I had to take it off and put it back for another reason. Not sure about the other end.

handbrake cable: p/n 4839874

1 - 9 of 9 Posts