SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a bad thing to do to the stock airbox, if not i would like to know how i exactly would go about doing this without messing up the car. I just want to see how the car sounds with the silencers removed before i spend 200$ on an open air intake.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
200$ on an intake. you crazy. Just make one for about 40$

Besides I dont think there is a silencer on the air box

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
If you take the lower piping off the bottom of the box it makes the intake louder

·
Registered
65 Posts
The stock intake piping is basically a cold air intake when the car is in motion. In motion there is a high pressure area in front of the condensor where the intake tube ends. There are no actual silencers or resonators and removing it is really not going to provide any gain. People are so quick to ditch the stock intake. Our cars actually have a really nice setup from the factory. Hell even the piping leading to the airbox is almost 3 inch. You're not going to mess anything up, there's just no gains to be had. If you want more sound its your car and you can do whatever you please.

I shouldn't have to say it but....heavily modified cars will be a different story but anyone with common sense knows that.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
He's right, our stock intakes are very good... people only change them for sound

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
its easy all those lower pieces just pop right out

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
remove the bumper, and right in front under the passenger headlight, there is a section of piping that is retained on by a couple of clips, just remove those clips and take off the pipe. On the V6 aero (i know the arc doesn't have it but the aero i believe might) there is a second section of intake piping that is somewhat perforated covered in felt and encased in a bag and much smaller in section that goes into the passenger fenderwell, this is the silencer. i have removed both on my aero and it has not made any appreciable difference in sound. definitely not like an open intake.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is exactly what I did to my 2.0T.
Had to do a ton of suspension work and had the entire front end off and noted the air intake piping going all the way to the A/C condenser. Removed most of the piping while still leaving enough where the stock intake box can suck air from the wheel well. Check out the pictures and you can see what I mean. Also built an aluminum mesh that goes in the place of the fog light plastic cover for some improved airflow in the wheel well. The sounds is excellent but not overwhelming. Like other people mentioned, the stock air intake set up is excellent and is a true cold air configuration. The extra piping can be removed though if you like to increase the sound of the compressor. I love the set up and have been happy with sound/appearance.

Hope this helps

bg_saab.

PS (to remove the extra piping all you need to do is remove the front bumper, after doing so, it is very obvious what you can and cant remove).

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
How about just adding a drop in k&n filter into the stock airbox? Has anybody done it? Im sure there would be a nice sound difference.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How about just adding a drop in k&n filter into the stock airbox? Has anybody done it? Im sure there would be a nice sound difference.
the 2L definitely sees a difference in sound with a K&N drop in vs the stock paper filter. you hear more of the turbo spooling (the whistle) and a little bit of the PSHH after you let off, but not as much as an open filter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts