SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the head unit, when I try it hits the windshield wiper thing, and I can't get it past it. I thought I could tilt the wheel, but I can't figure out how to do that. There is a lever on the bottom, and if I press it left, then I can telescope but not tilt.

Further, I want to disassemble the dash, but I think I have to remove the SID, how does one do that? This is in atempt to fix the tach and boost, and possibly the gas which gets stuck on full for a while after starting it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i'm not sure about the SID, i'd imagine it come out similar to the radio

but to get the radio out, just push the wiper arm all the way down, and when you pull it out pull on the wiper arm as if you were going to spray the windsheild and that should give you enough clearance.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Jared, I imagine you are speaking of the fuel gauge.

It seems to be normal ,IMO,for it to read full for 100 miles plus and finally drop slowly and then drop faster as the tank empties...

I would study the Haynes, better yet, the WIS(Workshop Instructions from Saab ??) and know how these gages work..There may be nothing more than a leaking vacuum line..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats not it, every time I start the car the fuel locks at full for a while then drops to where it should be, about 1/2 tank. (actually I have some doubts to my true gas milage from the SID) The gages come and go, so I don't know how it could be a vacume hose. I can't afford a book to tell me where to get things done. Thats why I'm here.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
As Sacko mentioned, just move the wiper switch's arm. Personally I put it up to clear it out of the way. Once you have the radio out reach in and up and pull the SID out.

jared_kipe said:
actually I have some doubts to my true gas milage from the SID
You are correct in doubting the SID. Most, if not all, are off by a bit. One way to be sure is to fill the tank, reset the SID before even starting the motor, reset the odometer, drive through the tank and then do the old fashioned hand calculations when you fill the tank up next time (miles travelled on tank divided by gallons used during that tank), then compare that calc to what the SID reads.

No vacuum lines behind the dash for fuel gauge, its all electrical. IMO a problematic thing after a few years.

The Haynes manual is a must for all Saab DIYers. Though the forum is a very useful tool, the manual is a much needed supplement through any procedure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Slaab, that exactly what I've done on this my first tank. SID is getting about 22mpg, and I put in 13.6 or so Gal, so I should get close to 300miles. Well I've driven about 120mil and its on half tank, so not liking that. I'll ask about that some time later.

As for you munki, I'm well versed on your website, but you pop that SID out with "M4 screws" which I've got no good idea's about. But if I can just reach behind it and pull it out, then I'm there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts