SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By removing the middle muffler (resonator) and replacing it with a straight pipe, am i losing any back pressure?
im looking for a little bit louder of an exhaust without buying a full or cat-back exhaust.
Oh, BTW i have an 2002 9-5 Aero Sedan 5spd

·
Registered
101 Posts
I removed the resonator from car and it did make the car sound a little different. It sounded a little deeper but probably to the average Joe the sound would even be noticed. I also have a 9in maganaflow muffler and a race cat, the car it pretty loud but I have a v6 where as you have a 4

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Back pressure isn't nearly as important on a turbocharged car as it is on a N/A vehicle. Go for it, others have done it, said it sounds pretty good too.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Back pressure isn't nearly as important on a turbocharged car as it is on a N/A vehicle. Go for it, others have done it, said it sounds pretty good too.
Are you joking? Back Pressure is everything on a turbo charged vehicle. Far more important than on an NA car.

That said I just removed my center muffler and it's a straight through design so there probably isn't much back pressure there. Good way to make the car sound more saab-like though. Most of the back pressure is in the dowpipe.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Are you joking? Back Pressure is everything on a turbo charged vehicle. Far more important than on an NA car.

That said I just removed my center muffler and it's a straight through design so there probably isn't much back pressure there. Good way to make the car sound more saab-like though. Most of the back pressure is in the dowpipe.
I think he means that having backpressure can sometimes be beneficial for N/A, whereas it's not beneficial for a Turbo, so you want to minimize it as much as possible.

The turbocharger itself will create all the backpressure it needs, so adding backpressure after it will only slow things down.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Raven18940 said:

That's why backpressure isn't important, you don't need it on a turbocharged car. That's why you can run larger diameter piping without loosing performance.

N/A vehicles need backpressure.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I actually just replaced mines the other with a smaller resonator..they called it a turbo pack and when i put in it I swear I got a lot more torque..Now I could actually reach rpm of 5000 without putting my car in sport mode.

·
Registered
100 Posts
woahhh now im confused i know tht removing the res. doesnt mess with the backpressure bc i have done it on myh car..but i tohught tht u need the backpressure from the cats for the turbo, and if those were removed u wud have no pressure to the turbo. where as u can run straight pipe on say and older mustang with no affect accept positive..maybe im wrong? corrext me please! lol:p

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
r14l21 said:
woahhh now im confused i know tht removing the res. doesnt mess with the backpressure bc i have done it on myh car..but i tohught tht u need the backpressure from the cats for the turbo, and if those were removed u wud have no pressure to the turbo. where as u can run straight pipe on say and older mustang with no affect accept positive..maybe im wrong? corrext me please! lol:p
When you removed the resonator, you got rid of some back pressure, which means your exhaust flows more freely. The reason Mustangs can run straight pipes is a) they have the right size diameter pipes so they keep the appropriate amount of back pressure and b) they are a larger displacement engine, which means they displace more air, therefor bigger pipes will create the same back pressure. Turbocharged cars have the turbo as back pressure, but also are considered "larger displacement engines" because the turbo can effectively double the displacement of the car, and the amount of air that flows out the exhaust.

Smaller displacement engines can run straight pipes, but instead of being 3" or 4", they would have 2" or similar.

Someone I know has a Chevy 2500 Silverado with a turbo diesel in it, and he could run 5" or 6" pipes without any problem!!! :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts