SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick to removing the hose/pipe that's on the bottom of the power steering pump? I believe it's a 17mm bolt. Everytime I try and loosen it, it seems there's too much torsion on the line and it rethreads itself back up

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have discovered that the solution is a crowfoot wrench, which I have bought and it should work fine!

For reference, the bolt is 17mm if that helps anyone in the future

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually had to buy a ratcheting crowfoot wrench for $30. I’m confused as to why no guides mention having to do that. Most guides just say “take off the delivery line”

·
Registered
107 Posts
I actually had to buy a ratcheting crowfoot wrench for $30. I’m confused as to why no guides mention having to do that. Most guides just say “take off the delivery line”
I've removed/reinstalled that line multiple times and have never had an issue with it. I believe each time I've used a line wrench and regular box-end wrench with no issue. I've never had to use any specialty tools for the power steering line which is most likely why it's not mentioned.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m thinking that the rubber line portion of the hose that sits directly below the pump is made to be rubber so that the line can be slightly twisted, but mine is very stiff and brittle as rubber lines get?
Can’t think of any other reason as to why I’m having so much trouble

What did you pull off to gain access to the hose?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m thinking that the rubber line portion of the hose that sits directly below the pump is made to be rubber so that the line can be slightly twisted, but mine is very stiff and brittle as rubber lines get?
Can’t think of any other reason as to why I’m having so much trouble

What did you pull off to gain access to the hose?
The rubber section off of the pump should be fully flexible, it may be stiff since it's rated for very high pressures but it should be able to flex just fine. Off of the top of my head I think I remember having the intake cobra removed the last time I removed one, but I'm certain I've taken off the hose without removing the cobra as well. Without seeing it in front of me it's hard to visualize what needs to be done to remove it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The line was just very stiff. I got it off by removing the whole power steering pump and rotating it. It made me pretty uneasy because with every rotation there was a weird crack

I have a ratchet box end wrench coming in to remove it more delicately from the parts car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts