SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an issue for a few years now with the siren and alarm going off at absolute random with no way of stopping it. Finally decided I'm fed up with it. From what I've heard you have to remove the front left tire to access the wheel well to get to where you need to remove the siren, is that still true on a 2003 9-3 SE convertible? Thanks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I opted to replace the battery with an external 4 AA battery case on a 900 and a 93. There's a few posts on that you should be able to find. I leave the battery case in the corner of the engine compartment by the fuse/relay box and can easily replace them if and when SID throws a warning. It's been over a year so far on the 900 with no alarms or SID messages.

I wanted to keep the chirp vs horn on locking/unlocking. I also wasn't sure if removing the siren generates intermittent SID error messages.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Removing the siren will generate a "Service Theft Alarm" message every time you start the car, unless that message is tuned off in the SID settings with a Tech 2. The problems with the siren seem to be battery-related as much as they are capacitor related.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
I have ordered questionable-but-correct batteries from various Chinese sources and capacitors from digikey and repaired a handful of these boxes... four or six. It's a fairly straightforward process if you like to keep it factory, but the AA battery solution obviously works as well.

You could also get a pair of CR123s and a battery holder:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...oKe%2BDjhrmIdnRH3PBRXDk1wFNog4SncojnUFr0lGA==

CR123s are common & cheap these days, and materially similar to the cells in the actual unit.

You could also use a BR2 battery which is a 6v spec. It's fortunate (?) that we've got a lot of lithium batteries these days!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have ordered questionable-but-correct batteries from various Chinese sources and capacitors from digikey and repaired a handful of these boxes... four or six. It's a fairly straightforward process if you like to keep it factory, but the AA battery solution obviously works as well.

You could also get a pair of CR123s and a battery holder:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...oKe%2BDjhrmIdnRH3PBRXDk1wFNog4SncojnUFr0lGA==

CR123s are common & cheap these days, and materially similar to the cells in the actual unit.

You could also use a BR2 battery which is a 6v spec. It's fortunate (?) that we've got a lot of lithium batteries these days!

How have these repairs worked out for you? I miss having an alarm system, but I also don't want to deal with random 4am alarms that I can't turn off in a year or something.

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
Brilliantly. Both my '02 Viggen and '01 SE have been great for two years. I have one spare (with the jumper open & unsealed). The rest are in cars I've sold and unfortunately don't know how they've been.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts