SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just purchased a new Pioneer stereo deck for my 9000.

What I need to do is to remove the old SONY cassette deck. I understand, that a stereo-removing tool is normally needed for that. However, there are no holes to speak of, so I am a bit lost on how to approach this. The old unit sits pretty tight, so obviously something is holding it in place.

Has anyone ever removed a unit like this one in the past ?

thanks,
tim.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind guys. I figured it out! :)

Apparently, I now need to bypass little amplifier and plug the unit into the standard harness.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my stock amp was not bypassed and the previous owner hooked up the head unit wrong. fixed the head unit and the system runs great, the nice thing about the factory amp inline with the head unit is the head unit doesn't have to be turned up very high, this keeps the temps down on the head unit and makes it last longer

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nevermind guys. I figured it out! :)

Apparently, I now need to bypass little amplifier and plug the unit into the standard harness.
Just on swapping head unit on my father's car today so this post very relevant.

Did you bypass amp, or was it not required? If so, what did you do?

Cheers, Nev

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just on swapping head unit on my father's car today so this post very relevant.

Did you bypass amp, or was it not required? If so, what did you do?

Cheers, Nev
Sorted. Well designed, just a plug into the loom, or rather disconnected, then standard iso fittings. Genius

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up removing old ISO to SONY loom and got a new one off eBay to fit new Pioneer unit.

Very nice and easy.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
my stock amp was not bypassed and the previous owner hooked up the head unit wrong. fixed the head unit and the system runs great, the nice thing about the factory amp inline with the head unit is the head unit doesn't have to be turned up very high, this keeps the temps down on the head unit and makes it last longer
My understanding is the stock power amp (under passenger seat) only puts out up to 15W RMS (per channel), and many even lower-cost headunits nowadways exceed that.

I put in a Clarion CZ309 last fall that I've been quite happy with (has aux and USB ports):

Only thing is the lighting color is fixed to blue and doesn't match the rest of the dash.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's why I ended up with this unit that matches my dash colours almost exactly.
It also came with an ipod cable that gets hooked up from the back, so there's no cable clutter.

The sound is much better to what I used to have, but I'd still like to replace front speakers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts