SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is a weird/lame one, I know...

Of my two headrests, one stays up, the other slides down any time I go over a bump. I'm thinking a quick test to see what's up is to swap headrests (easier thatn trying to figure out how to get inside the seatback). Problem is, I can't figure out how to release the bloody things. I don't want to pull to the point where they break, but I'm obviously missing something here.

Any thoughts?

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
The rear headrests have a screw on the back that holds them, for the fronts I'm afraid you have to pull the leather skin off the seatback. Not too bad as a job, is it's only closed by a zip at the base of the backrest. You only have to remove the knobs for backrest adjustment and lumbar adjustment and unzip the zip, after that it comes off like a glove.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
My shop manual suggests the opposite order, you remove the headrest first to remove the seat back cover.

You should be able to access the set screw that holds the headrest assembly in place by raising the headrest to full extension then down one notch, then pushing the top of the backrest cover down with your fingers at the center of the fron of the backrest and the set screw should be visible. My shop manual shows the set screw as having a hex head (the drawing shows a socket rachet with extension in use), then a flat blade screwdriver is used to push in the catch and allows the headrest complete with guide sleeve comes out as an assembly.

Probably the fault is the Retaining spring which is a weird shaped piece of spring steel that inserts into the notched slot in the head rest support. These get tired or break over time, or simply slip out of position. This part needs to be lubed with vaseline (white petroleum jelly) on reinstallation and you assemble from the back, reinsert into the guide, set the headrest to one notch below top and reinstall and resecure the set screw.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, well, I'm going to get on this tomorrow, and I'll see what method works. One more thing which might help clarify things; my seats are leather. Is that going to make a difference?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Having done skin swaps [twice] and extensive other repairs on 9000 seats I can state categorically-

The head rest ain't coming off until you've 3/4 removed the backrest skin, you'll then expose a slot in the foam that you can feel a dome head torx head screw from the side that is used, remove this [about 1 1/4" long] and the headrest slides right out.

This applies to leather and cloth seats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts