SaabCentral Forums banner

Removing fuel rail Schrader valve?

7K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Mimmi 
#1 ·
Got new fuel pump on order. Have a 1/2 tank of fuel in it. A guy on Saabnet said he removed the valve, hooked up a standard rubber fuel line, zip tied it, turned key on and ran the fuel into his other Saab’s tank.
2 questions:
How do you remove it? This type of fitting doesn’t look like you can put an open end wrench or socket on it. It’s a smooth surface all around.
When you turn the key on to release the fuel, won’t it stop running after the pump is done priming? You’d have to keep turning it off and on again till at least near empty I’d think. MY2008 Thanks

#2 ·
Schrader valve needs own tool for inner part removal (same as your tire valves).
You can remove fuel pump fuse, start car and it will shut when fuel pressure drops.
Insert fuse, remove schrader valve, put fuel line on it.
Start car (it will run after long starting) and your fuel bottle will fill up.

#5 ·
The car won’t start until after 10 attempts or so. I’m sure the pressure is near 0 on the first attempt anyway. Don’t think I’ll have to remove the fuse due to that. I could just depress the inner needle on the rail valve.
So what is the special tool to remove this? I haven’t read any other options to drain the fuel. And I surely can’t drop the tank 1/2 full. I could, but that’s a risk I’m not willing to take.

#4 ·
Nope. The schrader valve on the fuel rail refers to the type of valve inside the fitting, also used on the AC fittings.

jvanabra

Please don't post if you don't know what your talking about.

The fittings are not even close to a tire valve / fitting.

#6 ·
Nope. The schrader valve on the fuel rail refers to the type of valve inside the fitting, also used on the AC fittings.

jvanabra

Please don't post if you don't know what your talking about.

The fittings are not even close to a tire valve / fitting.
You might be surprised at the tolerances of an air chuck. My bleed adapter works just fine using an air chuck fitting on my XR4Ti, my Jaguar, my 9-3, and my T-5'd SPG (which has a Cummins-sourced banjo adapter). I'd maybe encourage you to not shoot down ideas unless you've personally tried them. Or not, your call.

#16 ·
It’s an 08..... I have an 05 as well. Just haven’t added the 08 to my profile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.