SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very much a novice with this C900 S - 1986. Planning on replacing the water pump (Labor Day weekend). Removing the air compressor is the first task. I am thinking removing the compressor bracket is the best way to get to the water pump working area. I could remove the compressor 4 bolts, but they are not that accessible, even with the allen wrenches and a 17 mm wrench. The bolt on the bracket under the compressor is not that easy to get to with leverage. Looking for some suggestions or the proper tool suggestion to get the compressor off. My water pump is spitting antifreeze and this is a must do repair.

Thanks in advance for all who respond.

wcoze

·
Registered
19 Posts
Someone may have better advice on this than me, but I have removed the compressor a couple of times and have two techniques that has worked well for me.

1. IF, and only if, you can reach the bolt far down on the bracket, you can remove the bracket with the compressor still attached. The best way for me has been with a rather short wrench. If you have large hands/arms, it may be difficult to squeeze the hand far down to reach it. Remember that you don't have to remove the bolt completely, only loosen it, as the hole in the bracket is slotted.

2. If you can't reach or loosen the bolt far down at the bracket, use a small ratchet and a wrench to move the bolts for the compressor at the bracket. If the ratchet is small enough, it should't be too difficult.

You don't have to remove the hoses from the compressor if the system is full of gas. Just gently bend it away and place the compressor on the side of the window.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
You can normally reach the bottom bolt with the right wrench. A 13mm ring works well. Remember that the bottom of the bracket is slotted so you only have to turn the bolt 1 or 2 turns to allow the bracket to slide off. The two bracket bolts at the top are easy. Don't remove it by the allen bolts. Remember the AC hoses are long enough to allow you to place the compressor on one side without loosening any hoses. Secure with a zip-tie to keep it in place whilst you work.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
You don't really need to remove the compressor to replace the water pump either.
It's harder with the compressor in place, annoying to remove the compressor. Pick your poison.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The earlier saabs didn't have the lower bolt slotted... Not sure when the change came.

If you can't loosen the lower bolt--you'll need a universal socket and extensions to reach it. After removing the other mount bolts, try and rock the whole assembly to break the torque on the lower bolt.

Later on. Reinstall the lower bolt with loctite BUT don't torque it past a "slide in fit". Then you can easily move the compressor out of your way at any time down the road...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for being so gracious and responding. I am really a rookie in repairs and have taken on this car as a lesson in learning. Your sharing and suggestions really meaningful and give me some confidence to take on the job. Thank you so very much.

Coze

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, thank for your message. I am a real rookie and most jobs [according to the book] that are given an hour, usually take me an afternoon {I drive slow too}. Anyway thanks and I will let you know which route I will undertake. My thought is to get the bracket off and get in front of the firewall and clean out the mess, so I will need the room to work. Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Peva, thanks for your insight. I am always impressed by how smart these Saab people are about these cars. I will give it a try over the holiday weekend.

Thanks again. Coze

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was able to remove the water pump and replace it just by disconnecting the AC hose and doing the job. getting the belts back on is a pain though. I left the AC belt off because I don't use AC anyway and it supposedly frees up a couple horses

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sky8 thanks for your response. Interesting approach. I do need to do a bit of a cleanup because my firewall is pretty gunked-up and the engine area is a bit messy. I figure for me this is an all day project, which will include in the last a replacement of the brake fluid reservoir. So there is going to be a fairly extensive disassembly taking place.

I can use your advice when I go in again to replace a water pump, assuming I get this one done well.

wcoze.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.