SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the headrest of a classic 900 front seat. Trying to get my new leather covers on, tried searching the forum. Must be something simple. Thanks

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Unzip the backrest, pull it up step by step and disconnect all the clips/whatever is holding the skin to the back of the seat. When you are at the top there is a screw holding the headrest - it should be unscrewed from the front of the backrest (there is a hole in the sponge), after that remove the spring that hold the headrest and you are done... Hope that I did not forget something.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You just peel the leather off the backrest, turning it inside out as you work your way up. Like you take your panty hose off. :roll::eek::cheesy: You'll see the place where the headrest retaining screw is in the foam at the appropriate place.

I once forcibly ripped the headrest out of a salvage yard car in order to get the leather skins off the seat. Fortunately I learned on a parts car and didn't let my impatience and ignorance damage my seat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch, found the screw, got it off. That was the easy part. Think I'll let an upholstery shop do my seat cover.....

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I once forcibly ripped the headrest out of a salvage yard car in order to get the leather skins off the seat. Fortunately I learned on a parts car and didn't let my impatience and ignorance damage my seat.
Yes! bet you didn't use the leather seats on the parts car!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes! bet you didn't use the leather seats on the parts car!
Actually I didn't want the seat; just the skin which was in excellent condition. The salvage car was a 4 dr and I put the skin on my hatchback driver's seat. And it only cost $10 for both seat and backrest.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How did you put your skin on with having to draw in those hooks. I put skins on my 73 transam, they were similar with the inset pads and wires. Leather is a whole other animal. I tried last night, gave up. Any advice?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts