SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi firstly any tips on how to remove the wheelarch trims on a Saab 900 - seem to have brittle ones that look fine on but crack and brake when I try to remove - perhaps some kind of solvent? Also does anyone know of a supplier for these parts - can’t find anything online - perhaps even a third party part that’s suitable ? Thanks

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The wheel arch trim is often held on by a heavy grease packed in to stop corrosion. Removal is best achieved by warming the trim up gently with a hot air gun or hair drier. This has the effect of softening the grease and also warming the trim up which has a tendency to crack in cold weather.. Ease the trim off all the way run very gently at about 1/4in at a time. Don't be tempted to pull from one end or it will crack. When sourcing new trim, if you find some please remember there are two widths of trim 20mm and 30mm. The 30mm normally found on later turbo models and convertibles. When buying double check which width you are getting. The OEM trim is now as rare as hens teeth but if you strike lucky on Ebay you may sometimes find some used ones. It is NLA new. There are metal replacements available on line which I personally don't favour and you have to stick them on with silicone.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wheel arch trim is often held on by a heavy grease packed in to stop corrosion. Removal is best achieved by warming the trim up gently with a hot air gun or hair drier. This has the effect of softening the grease and also warming the trim up which has a tendency to crack in cold weather.. Ease the trim off all the way run very gently at about 1/4in at a time. Don't be tempted to pull from one end or it will crack. When sourcing new trim, if you find some please remember there are two widths of trim 20mm and 30mm. The 30mm normally found on later turbo models and convertibles. When buying double check which width you are getting. The OEM trim is now as rare as hens teeth but if you strike lucky on Ebay you may sometimes find some used ones. It is NLA new. There are metal replacements available on line which I personally don't favour and you have to stick them on with silicone.
[/QUOT

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice - yep that’s exactly what I did accidentally pulled to hard on one end and cracked them - I’m going to see if I can repair them a bit - found some third party suppliers on eBay - May try them - thanks for the advice really helps !
Troy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts