SaabCentral Forums banner

Remove wheel weights? [Solved]

1K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  mstrjon32 
#1 ·
I just bought four original Saab aluminum rims with studded tires and there is wheel weights on all four. When I changed the first front wheel I saw the wheel weights hitting the brake caliper, and l could not spin the wheel around with my hands. There really isnt much room between the brake calipers and the rim, and the only option is to remove the weights. Do I really need them? In the back there is not a problem as the caliper is much smaller.

Brown Automotive tire Stairs Wood Fender

See less See more
#14 ·
Unheard of for oem Saab wheels not to fit unless you have the larger brakes.

You also need to test your spare tire. Make sure it fits.

It's hard to measure the rotor in place. But you can put a measuring tape around the circumference and measure that. The smaller rotors on these cars is 286 - 288 mm. The larger rotors – the Viggen upgrade – is 308 mm. That should be fairly obvious when you measure the circumference: 904 mm vs 967mm.

#15 ·
It's hard to measure the rotor in place.
You can hold something against the rotor edge in a suitable spot, like a pencil even, sticking out towards you. Then measure as straight as you can from the middle of the axle to the pencil. Should be accurate enough to get the radius. Multiply by 2 to get diameter.

If the rotor is off the car, dead easy, of course.

#20 ·
Thanks for the help and interesting info about the Saab rims! I went to the tyre shop today and they re-calibrated the rims which ended up with removing all the weights on one and on the other they just moved the weights so they wont interfere with the caliper. Now I can drive with a peace of mind on the slippery icy roads here in Norway!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.