SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to remove the cover on top of the SID. (I hope to fit a small GPS antenna in there.) Does anyone know how to do that?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Very easy.

Remove the grille covering the center speaker. That will expose two torx screws holding the rear edge of the SID cover. Be careful not to drop these screws in the dash.

The SID swings up toward the windshield. I can't remember what the connector looked like, but there is a ribbon cable feeding data/power to the SID.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
jgb said:
(I hope to fit a small GPS antenna in there.)
Have you thought about locating it where the rain sensors are in the windscreen? That was my ideal location, but i seem to need to reset my GPS unit quite often so i haven't hardwired it as such yet:roll:.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
JWLANKY said:
Have you thought about locating it where the rain sensors are in the windscreen?
Maybee I should have got that rain sensor option after all... As it is now I do not have one.

But I do have the SAAB Navigation system, so there already is a GPS-antenna in the car. I have had some thoughts about using a splitter to get access to it for my "ActiveGPS". But then I would like to get a good splitter with a built in buffer amplifier so there is no signal loss, and it is surprisingly hard to find one of those for a reasonable price.

The "ActiveGPS" is a nice little box that contains the positions of potential danger spots (mostly speed cameras :cool: ) and alerts you as you approach one of them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ctrlz said:
Very easy.

Remove the grille covering the center speaker. That will expose two torx screws holding the rear edge of the SID cover. Be careful not to drop these screws in the dash.

The SID swings up toward the windshield. I can't remember what the connector looked like, but there is a ribbon cable feeding data/power to the SID.
Apologies for the newbie question but I was wondering what is the best way to remove the speaker grille. Should I just use a pen knife to pop it out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks automaggot, I needed to remove the SID to address some squeaks. I removed 80% of them by applying silicone lubricant to the leading edges and mounting hooks of the SID display.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts