SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1995 SE Convertible, and will never use the AC. Is it possible to remove this and if so, will it get better gasmileage?

Thanks,

Justin

·
Registered
7 Posts
you could just remove the belt, i done this in other cars, but i don't think you will see a noticeable difference in gas mileage

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
better luck with technical stuff in the ng900 forum, this is for classic 900's. why woudl you remove it? even in victoria it gets really hot. and in the winter it will defrost your windows in seconds, and with and convertable this will come in handy!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

That's why I bought a convertible, if it's hot, no need for AC. Good tip on AC during winter though. Thanks for replies and suggestion.

Justin

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
woywitka said:
in the winter it will defrost your windows in seconds, and with and convertable this will come in handy!
That also works in the rain ... or any time that you are in a situation where there is heavy mositure.

I've heard of people who have removed the system, but that is more for the weight saving than anything else ...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The entire HVAC system can be removed, of course, at a cost of thousands of dollars. Imagine how motor vehicles were one hundred years ago...

The compressor drive belt can be removed , I think for a cost of tens of dollars. The fuel economy gain might be one mile per gallon more or less...

Either will also depreciate the car by the same number.
There is , at least on my car('96 900S), an off-on switch...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AC Compressor wont shut off

Being a new owner, I have not figured out how to turn off the AC compressor. It kicks in even on a cool day, a few seconds after starting the motor. I've tried various settings including Econ (the book says this turns off the compressor?) but that does not turn it off. I use the OFF setting, but the compressor just keeps kicking in? Any ideas?

Justin

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
900SEVictoria said:
Being a new owner, I have not figured out how to turn off the AC compressor. It kicks in even on a cool day, a few seconds after starting the motor. I've tried various settings including Econ (the book says this turns off the compressor?) but that does not turn it off. I use the OFF setting, but the compressor just keeps kicking in? Any ideas?

Justin
Removing the compressor would be only for weight purposes. If you remove the belt, and with the engine off of course, spin the ac compressor pulley by hand and you will see how freely it spins when not engaged.

A good way to make sure the compressor does not engage under any circumstance is to disconect the red wire that comes out of the top of the compressor. This is the +12 volts that engages and disengages the clutch. There is a connector in the line really close, so just unhook it, and away you go! Zip tie the loose wire to something so it doesent get caught in the belt.

I did this last winter when my ac wasn't charged, I didn't want to turn the compressor with nothing in the system.

Tboy

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
900SEVictoria said:
I've tried various settings including Econ (the book says this turns off the compressor?) but that does not turn it off.
What makes you think the compressor still turns on? Can you feel cold air coming out of the vents? The Econ setting really does turn the compressor off, assuming everything is working properly. I keep mine in Econ most of the year because it seems to give me a few more miles per gallon. Just put it in Econ and press the Econ button and the temperature up button at the same time to make that the default. The display will flash once to confirm the setting.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
What makes you think the compressor still turns on? Can you feel cold air coming out of the vents? The Econ setting really does turn the compressor off, assuming everything is working properly. I keep mine in Econ most of the year because it seems to give me a few more miles per gallon. Just put it in Econ and press the Econ button and the temperature up button at the same time to make that the default. The display will flash once to confirm the setting.
It's actually the ECON and fan up button ... sorry JR ...

Also, I want to echo that this really does turn off the A/C system.
I leave mine in ECON all year round ... in the summer I hit the AUTO only when I want A/C ... in the winter, I use AUTO and then hi the ECON button again to stop the A/C system from engaging (unless I have a lot of humidity in the car that needs to be dealt with).
While there are some benefits to letting the ACC control things, I don't like a few things that A/C do:
decrease your fuel mileage
decrease the ability for the engine to deliver the power I want
increase your dependancy on the moisture removal capabilities of A/C - the more you use it to clear your windows, the more you need it to clear your windows - try that some time ... once you turn on the A/C to clear your windows in rain or snow, you will have to continue to use it or the windows will og up so badly you can't see out them ... but if you just use normal ventalation and circulation, you can go forever without having to use A/C to clear them ...:roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
SaabScott said:
It's actually the ECON and fan up button ... sorry JR ...

Also, I want to echo that this really does turn off the A/C system.
I leave mine in ECON all year round ... in the summer I hit the AUTO only when I want A/C ... in the winter, I use AUTO and then hi the ECON button again to stop the A/C system from engaging (unless I have a lot of humidity in the car that needs to be dealt with).
While there are some benefits to letting the ACC control things, I don't like a few things that A/C do:
decrease your fuel mileage
decrease the ability for the engine to deliver the power I want
increase your dependancy on the moisture removal capabilities of A/C - the more you use it to clear your windows, the more you need it to clear your windows - try that some time ... once you turn on the A/C to clear your windows in rain or snow, you will have to continue to use it or the windows will og up so badly you can't see out them ... but if you just use normal ventalation and circulation, you can go forever without having to use A/C to clear them ...:roll:
Hmmm, you say you have to hit that ECON botton every time. Can't you just make it remember your startup settings, so ECON is always enabled and you hit AUTO only when you really need ACC to run?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Econ setting

I am not able to get Econ to work or activate. So I removed the AC/ACC fuse for now, that atleast stops the AC compressor from going on and off.

Pressing ECON does not turn it on. Pressing a combination of buttons as suggested above, does not work either.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
We may have an inop switch or a stuck closed relay on board..

These are easy to test..
Thang God for HVAC....and multi-meters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts