SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a remote starter? if so how is it? and is it possible to find one with out the alarm/door opener combo? just a remote start alone? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
It basically can't be done....if you've read the above Link(s), Kenny Kustom is the only one that's ever done it and as you can see it's a major project/pita.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any new info

Well it's getting cold up here in the NorthEast and am considering what to do to get the car warm it the morning. I know there has been a great deal of discussion on whether idling the car hurts the engine and I don't want to go there. Anyway, I called a local car stereo installer and Best Buy to see if it is possible to install a RS and they both said that they could. So my question is it now possible to get a RS installed? If anyone has what kind do you recomend? Also another option I found searching the forum is the saab block and cabin heater but what I'm finding is that it's now available in the US, am I correct on this? http://www.saab.com/global/en/start#/buy-own/accessories/view-accessories/

·
Registered
795 Posts
rfj62 said:
Well it's getting cold up here in the NorthEast and am considering what to do to get the car warm it the morning. I know there has been a great deal of discussion on whether idling the car hurts the engine and I don't want to go there. Anyway, I called a local car stereo installer and Best Buy to see if it is possible to install a RS and they both said that they could. So my question is it now possible to get a RS installed? If anyone has what kind do you recomend? Also another option I found searching the forum is the saab block and cabin heater but what I'm finding is that it's now available in the US, am I correct on this? http://www.saab.com/global/en/start#/buy-own/accessories/view-accessories/

I would strongly suggest that you don't get one installed. I've had countless people including dealers say unless it comes pre-installed as an option do not get one put in. Newer cars just have too many electronics to be cutting and splicing up under the dash. My g/f's buick never recovered after they killed her car while putting one in. We tried to take it to court but it ended up costing way too much and we just off loaded it.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Re-read post 3, if some Jerk at best buy is saying he can do it, get it in writing so when he screws up your ignition best buy will foot the bill. Kenny's posts clearly show this is not a typical 149.95 remote start job, and not worth the effort.

·
Registered
795 Posts
JonV said:
Re-read post 3, if some Jerk at best buy is saying he can do it, get it in writing so when he screws up your ignition best buy will foot the bill. Kenny's posts clearly show this is not a typical 149.95 remote start job, and not worth the effort.
100% on getting it in writing. If you go in and ask for this you prolly will be leaving without one being installed. They will say whatever to get you in there.
Please listen to us on this one lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like straight answers like that :cheesy: , just didn't know if any other bypass harnesses that were made since the last post.

What are my option, are there any? :confused:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Kenny Kustom is the only person on this board to have installed a remote start, this does not mean he is the only one ever, but he most likely is. If a car audio shop is saying they can do it, I agree with getting it in writing, and make sure they have installed into a Saab 9-3 before. DO NOT be their guinea-pig.
I don't think any of us here know of any other option.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Kenny spent a lot of time and effort. I think it took him two weeks to figure this out, and presumably his full time job is running a car audio shop. I think he calculated what the job cost him allowing for his usual shop rate and came in close to $2000! The first one is always hardest, but he said he would never do this in another 93SS for less than $1000, if he took the job at all. Some of these numbers may be off, as I'm relying on memory.

Kenny did include all the technical details in some of his threads. That info may be scattered, but Kenny only has a few hundred posts.

For the life of me, I could never figure out why a car audio guy would be obsessed with remote start, but be willing to live with the stock stereo:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Ya gotta respect a guy that's up for a challenge....they said it couldn't be done, he did it.

People used to think the World was Flat, I thought so too until I went through the Stargate :);)

·
Registered
795 Posts
JonV said:
Ya gotta respect a guy that's up for a challenge....they said it couldn't be done, he did it.

People used to think the World was Flat, I thought so too until I went through the Stargate :);)
Lol Jon are you ok, or was that from a movie? :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts